We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Chicago to Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti?

Manitoba
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from Chicago to Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti?

I will attend a conference at the Ann Arbor Marriot Ypsilanti in July. I am flying into Chicago, and would rather not rent a car. What would be the best way to get there?

9 replies to this topic
Westland
Level Contributor
41 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Chicago to Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti?

Amtrak runs a train from Chicago with a stop in Ann Arbor. You could take a cab from there to the hotel. See amtrak.com for schedules.

Detroit, Michigan
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Chicago to Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti?

I agree, you can take a taxi, but it will be a hike to hotel. Check to see if there is a shuttle service from Ann Arbor to hotel. It may cost $100 round trip to the train. There is a bus service you may be able to use as well.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
150 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Chicago to Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti?

I know this doesn't answer your question, but do you HAVE to fly into Chicago? Neither of the two airports are close to the Amtrak station. If you take a cab, it'll easily be $30-$40. If you take public transportation you will either have to take a cab from the el/subway to the station or walk almost a mile with your bags etc. Once you get on the train, it'll be 4-5 hours (several family members take this train, it's often delayed) from Chicago to Ann Arbor.

If you were able to fly into Detroit it'd be significantly easier and much closer.

In any case, good luck!

East Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
421 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Chicago to Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti?

I second the earlier post to fly into Detroit. Spirit airlines runs some cheap flights on this route sometimes as low as $9, or even $40. This would save a ton of time and actually be cheaper than Amtrak.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
270 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Chicago to Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti?

Yeah that drive is kind of boring after get away from lake Michigan. Train would require either orange or blue line in to downtown, then switching over to amtrack - or fly to Detroit.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from Chicago to Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti?

can anyone comment if Amtrak still run late between Ann Arbor and Chicago and if so, roughly how long?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from Chicago to Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti?

Can someone still comment if Amtrak still run late between Ann Arbor and Chicago Union station?

If so, how long of a delay?

Michigan
Level Contributor
822 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from Chicago to Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti?

Michigan Flyer bus is the only reasonably affordable ground transportation between DTW and the Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti area. From its nearest stop (probably Kensington Court near Briarwood) you'd need to take a cab, Uber or another AATA bus to your hotel.

www.michiganflyer.com/LocationsParking.aspx

www.michiganflyer.com/LocationsParking.aspx

If another bus turns out to be your answer, it may actually be easier to ride The Flyer all the way to Blake Transit Center since all area buses, somehow or another, originate from there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
346 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get from Chicago to Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti?

You can see recent arrival times and delays, if you use this site:

…onlineschedulingsoftware.com/index.php

Ann Arbor station code is ARB and I checked for a Saturday morning train, number 350. In the last week it was half hour late once and early three times.

Explanation for why this route in particular is often delayed in this article from a few years ago:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/08/us/chicago-train-congestion-slows-whole-country.html?_r=0

Reply to: How to get from Chicago to Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ypsilanti