We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner for a large group between Ypsilanti and Milan?

Michigan
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Dinner for a large group between Ypsilanti and Milan?

Hi we have a group of about 50 high schoolers that will be at Eastern University for a competition and we will be staying south in Milan. Do you have any ideas for dinner at a reasonable price (under $10 a person) that can accommodate us?

My first thoughts were Cicis (but couldn't find any in the area) or a Super Chinese Buffet (I did find Asia City but it was $12.99 a person. We have several in our town between $8 and $9.)

I'm even hoping to hear which fast food is on the way from Eastern to Milan... Culvers? We just want to be able to make some decisions before we leave, instead of all standing around saying "where do you think we should go?"

Thanks for any help you can give us!

5 replies to this topic
Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner for a large group between Ypsilanti and Milan?

If your hotel will give you some space to cater in a meal, I'd highly recommend Bella Italia in Ann Arbor. Their catering menu with giant trays of pasta is very inexpensive per person, everything is made from scratch, and they might even deliver to you (I know they deliver around Ann Arbor). Even if they don't deliver, someone can drive a few miles out of the way to get it and throw the trays of pasta in your trunk. The garlic knot rolls are cheap, filling, and kids love them. I regularly feed 80 kids on field trips from them for amazingly little money.

annarborpizza.com/catering-at-bella-italia

Not between EMU and Milan, but still in Ypsi is junk food heaven--Bill's Drive in. For about $5 you can get a couple hot dogs, a bag of chips, and THE best homemade rootbeer. That's all they serve, but they'd get it done fast and tasty.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g42837-d41…

Just off US23 is Great Lakes Chinese Restaurant. They have a large private dining room. We worked with them to get a reasonably priced, kid-friendly menu for a big group once. I can't remember what they charged, but it seems like it was under $10 a kid with tip. If you'd be dining at kind of an off time, I'm guessing they'd work something out for your group.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g29556-d41…

Do you have 5 Guys Burgers and Fries in your area? All the kids love the place (but if you have peanut allergies in your group, know that there are in-shell peanuts free to grab in the dining area).

There's one at Arborland Mall, on Washtenaw right across from where you'd get on US-23 from EMU.

3601 Washtenaw Avenue

Ann Arbor, MI 48104

I'm not familiar with Milan at all so I can help with things closer to your hotel.

Michigan
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner for a large group between Ypsilanti and Milan?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, our hotel has a conference room we can use so the Italian idea sounds really good to me!

And a question about the Arborland Mall -- is it a strip center or an enclosed Mall? A food court in an enclosed mall might be a fun option for our kids one of the nights (we are from a small town and our mall is over half empty).

Thanks again!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner for a large group between Ypsilanti and Milan?

If you have the time, I highly recommend taking the kids to Cottage Inn Pizza in downtown Ann Arbor (East William). Call ahead to reserve the upstairs area. It should be the perfect size for your group. I'll bet they will work out the menu ahead of time for you. Ask for pizza, salads and drinks and ask if it can be done for $10.00 per person. I would think it is very doable.

After dinner, take the kids for a walk around the diag on the University of Michigan campus (down the street from the Cottage Inn). Around the corner on State Street you will find the beautiful Arcade area (featured on the Pure Michigan Ann Arbor Ad that just doesn't stop running here in NJ!) and great little shops, including a Stucchi's Ice Cream store (love their French Silk ice cream!)

As much as I am a Michigan State fan, there are few towns anywhere that can compare to the charm of Ann Arbor. It would be a very fun evening with the kids (biggest issue is parking but there is a ramp on Thompson and/or Maynard that is just around the corner from all of these things).

Have fun! Moms

Edited: 10 April 2013, 01:26
Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner for a large group between Ypsilanti and Milan?

Arbor land is just a strip mall, but Briarwood isn't too far off your path between EMU and your hotel and it has a food court.

I concur with moms, tat a stop on campus would be fun if you have time and can manage getting everyone onto campsus. There is a large public lot near Cottage Inn so parking shouldn't be too bad.

Michigan
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner for a large group between Ypsilanti and Milan?

Thanks for the help (especially about the malls) -- I love the idea about seeing UofM and Cottage Pizza....we'll have to see how that fits in the schedule.

Thanks again everyone!

Reply to: Dinner for a large group between Ypsilanti and Milan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ypsilanti