We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer in Minneapolis

Gordonsbay, South...
Level Contributor
161 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Beer in Minneapolis

Hello!

I am looking for a brew pub/place that serves local brews in Minneapolis. On a previous visit we went to Great Waters Brewing in St. Paul but now I want to try somewhere in Minneapolis. I've found Barley John's Brew Pub and Town Hall brewery - are those any good or do you have any other suggestions?

(I have on our list to try Summit)

thanks as always

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer in Minneapolis

Try a visit to the Herkimer at Lake and Lyndale in south Minneapolis. They serve only their brews and have wonderful pub grub -- especially the sweet potato fries. Love the place.

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
554 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer in Minneapolis

There's a new place across the street from Herkimer, Lyndale Tap, that is good also.

For local brews to try, I highly recommend any variety of Surly.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer in Minneapolis

Go across the border to Wisconsin. The beer is amazing! Wisconsin produces some of the best brewed beers around.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer in Minneapolis

www.wisconline.com/attractions/breweries.html if you do ever get over the border (to WI) here's a list to consider. Leinie's (Chippewa Falls) (Leinenkugel's) or New Glarus are wonderful. There are brewpubs on this list.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_breweries (some good info. and links here)

http://www.vikingbrewing.com/

Sounds like you got some good ideas of places in Minneapolis to go to~

Edited: 12 February 2010, 00:22
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer in Minneapolis

Herkimer is a great place. They also own moto-i down the street that is the only saki brewery in the United States. Also very good food. Another suburban chain place is Granite City Food and Brewery which is pretty good www.gcfb.net

Edited: 12 February 2010, 01:45
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer in Minneapolis

Oh, and as the world's biggest fan of Summit Brewing Company in St. Paul, I would be remiss if I didn't let you know about the nice tasting they offer at the end of the brewery tour. The tour at Leinie's is better -- more interesting history and facility. But I prefer the tasting at Summit -- larger servings and (just my opinion here) better beer.

Also, if you can't get in for a tour, you can hit the Groveland Tap in St. Paul for a great burger and a selection of brews from Summitt. They usually have 90 percent of them on draught.

And finally, although Stub and Herb's is not a brewpub, it does offer a stunning variety of brews -- many local. It's the only tavern in Minnesota to make the beer geek's list . A high honor

Gordonsbay, South...
Level Contributor
161 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer in Minneapolis

You've all made me change our plans, we're now staying for 2 nights, not just 1. So since we're going to be here on a day that Summit do the tours, we'll definately be going. How long is the tour mntoathens? I've looked on their website but I don't think they tell you?

(Off topic Wisconsin: we'll be enjoying our fair share of beer in Wisconsin. And we are doing the Leinenkugel tour in Chippewa Falls. We like brewery tours!)

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer in Minneapolis

The tour at Summit took about 45 minutes for the tour and then the tasting takes as long as you want to sit and savor all the different brews. AtSummit, it's really about the tasting session after ward as the tour itself is just OK. And unfortunately the gift shop is tiny. A few nice things, but it pales naext to the Leinie's Lodge gift shop. That place is legendary. But Summit has the better beer and bigger tasting glasses.

Make sure you reserve your spots at Summitt. They fill up fast. At Leinie's you can walk up with no reservations. Not at Summitt.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer in Minneapolis

HOLY COW!

And who could not be thrilled by the return of Eau Claire's Walters Beer? It's now made by the Northwoods Brew Pub in Eau Claire.

volumeone.org/magazine/articles/639/Walters_…

www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php…

http://www.northwoodsbrewpub.com/beers.html

Only an hour and a half away. (Unless snowing!)

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer in Minneapolis

As an Eau Claire regular, I can't agree on Walters. That stuff is awful. But it is nice that brought back a piece of that history. My father in law grew up near the brewery!

If the original poster was wondering, Summit mainly specializes in ales but does have lagers, a very good porter and an excellent stout.

Leinie's is all lagers.