We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It's fish fry season

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
It's fish fry season

Well, to be totally TI compliant, I should be posting this on the St Paul forum, but I figure nobody except Karras reads it, and there are even fewer who post on it. I made mention of this a couple of years ago during my quest for a "Twin Cities Minnesota" forum, but it wasn't to be, and I was totally shot down.

It's fish fry season again folks, and I'll try to keep you posted on my adventures.

First fry this year found us at the Fireside Lounge on South Robert St in St Paul. Gotta' tell you, we thought it was great. I believe the fish was pollack, and it was very nicely done. A small cole slaw, and your choice of potato.... baked, fries, or ............GET THIS : au gratin...........obviously no contest!

Good service, even though the place was packed.

Dinner was $8.99. The beers were in the $3.50 per pint range.

I could post this as a restaurant review, but here again, I don't think a lot of people would read it.

http://www.fireside-lounge.com/

Minnesota
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: It's fish fry season

We had the fish fry at Tav on the Ave (825 Jefferson Ave, St. Paul, right off 35E) this past Friday night. All you can eat cod for $9.95, side of cole slaw and choice of potato. Quite tasty! We each had 3 pieces, hubby had the garlic mashed potatoes which I would highly recommend. The waitress brought us a complimentary skillet chocolate chip cookie (she made a small error in our order and wanted to make it up to us) with vanilla ice cream. Overall I thought good service, good food, good value. We would definitely go back.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It's fish fry season

Had fish at Tav on Ave during "the season" last yr. Pollock, and nothing to write home about. Glad to hear they have done a turnaround, and will give them another chance during this season.

I see their website is no longer looking "spiffy", and they no longer show the "pound and a pint" special on Wednesdays. That was a favorite among my crowd.

tptr

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It's fish fry season

I miss the church basement smelt dinners

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It's fish fry season

Katz: They're getting hard to locate.......maybe on the North Shore / Duluth / Superior in the spring during the run.

Katzgar wrote:

"I miss the church basement smelt dinners"

Minnesota
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: It's fish fry season

Here's a list of 25 popular fish fry spots from today's Pioneer Press

www.twincities.com/ci_14461359?nclick_check=1

Too bad they don't list the church and VFW locations. One of our all time favorites is the VFW in South St. Paul on Concord Street. Arrive early, the line can be an hour long.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It's fish fry season

Yes, they left out a lot of places.....sure would be nice if there was a definitive list. Especially missed on the newspaper's list is Obb's Tavern in St Paul, and it's one of the better fries we've attended. A friend puts in a heavy recommendation for Magnolias in St Paul.

tptr

freezebaby said:

<<<Here's a list of 25 popular fish fry spots from today's Pioneer Press

www.twincities.com/ci_14461359?nclick_check=1

Too bad they don't list the church and VFW locations>>>

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: It's fish fry season

2/26/2010 fish fry - week 2

VFW Post 1982 in White Bear Lake. Nice post right on the lake…..must be especially nice when the temps are above 60 and the snow has melted. Quite a crowd this evening, and we waited about 15 minutes for a table.

http://www.vfw1782.org/

The $7 price tag is rather misleading, as that includes just the fish and a small container of slaw. 4 pieces of fish arrived with the order. A buck and a quarter more will get you a side of fries, while for a buck and a half you can get onion rings.

Food was hot, but this stuff comes right off the Sysco truck. I'd venture a guess the fish pieces are already breaded and ready to pop into the fryer. Probably pollock. No personal touch and beer battering to this fish. I'd venture a guess that this is the sort of fry you'll find in many veterans clubs across the metro. The onion rings were actually of better quality than the fish.

Beverage: $4.50 for a large mug of beer. Good service, both at the bar and at the dining tables. All you can eat fish, but we really didn't have a hankering for seconds.

Bottom line one star (maybe one and a half) out of five. We really were spoiled by last week's location. (Fireside Lounge in W.St Paul)

Stay posted for week number 3.

tptr

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: It's fish fry season

Nice VFW Fish Fry at "the Red Barn" in Cottage Grove. Au Gratin Potatoes too. Hand battered Icelandic Cod with green beans, coleslaw and pudding dessert for $9. A tradition for many years.

http://vfwredbarn.com/

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: It's fish fry season

Fish fry week 3:

3/5/2010

We started out heading for the B Dale Club (Cty Rd B and Dale Sts in Roseville) but detoured due to no available seating. We will try them again at a later date.

On to Deans Tavern on Rice Street (just north of Larpenteur Ave) in St Paul. We ordered the fish before ordering beverages, as we were hungry. Fish came very quickly, was piping hot, and included a decent sized side of fries, two pieces of fish, and a small cup of slaw. (Is coleslaw expensive? Every place we've been this year offers a miniscule serving of it.)

The fish is pollock, but was hand-breaded and quite tasty. Not too greasy, as it was the previous year. I think Deans has gotten a handle on how to prepare it this time around.

two for one drinks made the bill look pretty good. The fish was $8.00, and we had seconds. Attentive wait staff was a plus.

As an aside, we have been attempting to frequent those fries that are seasonal, not year-round, but had to break our own rule in this third week.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It's fish fry season

Fish fry week four (4)

I guess it's probably time to return to what I consider the "name" places hosting year 'round fries the next time around, such as Groveland Tap and Obb's Bar.

This week we attended the fry at the North St Paul VFW club. We did it about a year ago, and nothing has really changed, and I'd assume that's because the people who frequent this one are regulars. So far, the Veteran's club fries we've attended have been strangely similar in food quality.

Began with a beverage in their bar, (great people watching, I might add,) and enjoyed glasses of beer for a buck.

On to the fry, which takes place downstairs. $8.00 for this AYCE fry, which includes baked beans (from a can,) coleslaw, (AND LOTS OF IT! - see my report last wk), french fries, battered pollock strips, and a roll with butter. The servers (students) were wearing sweatshirts with their hockey team advertised, so it's safe to assume their team is deriving some benefit from the profits of this fry.

You get as much food as you'd ilke, but it seems the customers are always waiting for the fish to be ready, and isn't that the main reason for attending a fry?

I will say the fish was hot when we got it. The sides were ok, although the fries had been sitting for awhile. The fish was battered pollock and it was very similar to the battered pollock that we had last week. and a week before that. We thought the tartar sauce was a bit sour and vinegary.

At any rate, with our appetites sated, we went home to watch the HS hockey tournament. The worst part of this fry was realizing at home that I had to change out of my shirt due to the fish fry smell…………….maybe flannel does absorb that smell!

Taking next week off, but then we'll probably be back to one of the "big name" fries (See above) as the seasonals will be finished for the season.

Cheers!