We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel suggestion for 18 yr olds Memorial Weekend?

Nashville
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel suggestion for 18 yr olds Memorial Weekend?

My son and a friend are flying into Minneapolis for the Soundset music festival at Canterbury Park over Memorial Day weekend. They are coming in a day early and want to spend time at the Fifth Element record store in South Minneapolis, and maybe eat some Jucy Lucys at Matt's. He studied at MCAD last summer and has been to Minneapolis a few times, so he knows his way around, but will be relying on public transportation. We've stayed at a hotel in the warehouse district and one near Nicollet Mall, but I'm wondering about something nearer his interests. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,418 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel suggestion for 18 yr olds Memorial Weekend?

This hotel is fairly close to Matt's, but I'm not sure if I'd stay anywhere other than downtown. Being downtown and relying on public transit, you can pretty much get anywhere, but staying in So. Mpls, your choices might be more limited. Another thing I'd add, since you don't clearly state it, is that some hotels have an age policy for check-in ( 21, I think). I'd make sure you clear that with the hotel manager, either way.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g43323-d596092-…

Nashville
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel suggestion for 18 yr olds Memorial Weekend?

Thanks so much for your post. The 21 requirement is the next hurdle in my research. I know from planning other travel I have seen some places that are 18 and up, so I am remaining optimistic.

There are so many options downtown, and obviously the Light Rail from the airport will get them right to their room. Plus my son is most familiar with that area and it is so easy to navigate on foot or by bus. I'm gonna look there first. There is a hostel as a last resort, but it's my son's graduation trip and ONLY two days, so I hate to make them rough it too much!

Any advice about a cheaper way than taxi to get to the racetrack for the concert?

Thanks!!!!

Nashville
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel suggestion for 18 yr olds Memorial Weekend?

Just to follow up:

The Best Western Hotel Normandy near the Metro Dome was fine with my son being 18. We stayed there once before and it was clean, spacious, has comfy beds , a nice indoor pool/hot tub/sauna and free wi-fi. For $109 a night for a double queen suite, it was the perfect solution. Thanks again for directing me back to downtown.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,418 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel suggestion for 18 yr olds Memorial Weekend?

I had no idea what this concert was, so I googled "canterbury park bus" and came up with this link.....take the light rail back to MOA and free shuttle to the concert; sounds like a great solution: http://www.soundsetfestival.com/tag/shuttle/

Nashville
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel suggestion for 18 yr olds Memorial Weekend?

bk...you are my hero(ine?)!

Just forwarded your shuttle link to my son and it (plus the reasonable room at the Normandy) has truly helped their vacation budget! My son and I are both in love with MPLS and I am so excited he is returning to SoundSet. It is a festival run by an amazing collective of Minneapolis artists and their friends. checkout www.rhymesayers.com

Thanks again...and if you are ever interested in exploring Nashville, I'd love to be your guide!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel suggestion for 18 yr olds Memorial Weekend?

The Midtown Sheraton isn't too bad at all. Gives nice access to the midtown global market and all the unique places that make up Lake Street.

That said, other than the proximity to the market, the location is pretty questionable. And if you plan to take the light rail, it's easier to access it from downtown. And in honesty, thought I would not predict any problems, the midtown area is not our safest area for walking around seeing sights, while downtown is pretty safe (though of course one could encounter problems anywhere, so keep the guiard up).

I think downtown is the right choice, and the Best Western Normandy Inn -- if it fits your budget -- is a good option in that price range. Will require a little hike to the train, but it's got a good rep from a few of my friends who use it when flying in for Vikings or Twins games.

Nashville
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel suggestion for 18 yr olds Memorial Weekend?

Hey mntoathens: Thanks for the follow-up! I think you gave me some good advice on my first trip to MPLS a couple of years ago. We actually stayed at the Best Western Normandy last year and their $109 rate is a bargain for the accommodations. I did the trek from the light rail with a heavy suitcase, so these kids should have no worries.

I am glad you mentioned the market. I planned to visit during a previous trip, but never made it. I will remind my son. Think I read about good Mexican food there, though we ate a a spot on Eat Street that was pretty good too.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel suggestion for 18 yr olds Memorial Weekend?

Sounds like you have already gotten a fair amount of good advice, I will just a thought on the 18 year old issue, and perhaps a related issue.

I think the 18 vs. 21 age requirement may revolve a lot on whether there is a mini-bar in the room. In hotels that do not have that option in the room, there is little less concern of the hotel "providing" alcohol underage. They would have to request it from a restaurant, bar, or room service and the staff person would presumably ID them before serving. Conversely, if the mini-bar is in the room, it could be argued the hotel "knew" they were renting a room to someone under 21 and therefore could be "serving" alcohol underage. In any case, better to inquire ahead of time.

Related issue...make sure your son has a credit card in his name (or at least Visa/Mastercard logoed debit card). I do not believe any downtown hotel does cash rentals, at least upfront. At the very least it will be a difficult argument at the Front Desk - which nobody wants. They will need a credit card/debit card with enough credit or cash to cover the full room and tax charges, plus usually some additional amount to cover incidental charges. Of course, be sure you're son understands if they use a debit card, there is an immediate hold put on the account for the room and tax charges, plus whatever amount the hotel holds for incidentals. If there is any question on what the hotel will hold, have your son ask BEFORE handing over the card. The hold is placed immediately upon request, refunds take banks up to a week to release.

9. Re: Hotel suggestion for 18 yr olds Memorial Weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2010, 13:20