We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it cheaper to stay in Minneapolis or St Paul?

Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Is it cheaper to stay in Minneapolis or St Paul?

Hi would be grateful for any advice on whether its cheaper to stat in St Paul or Minneapolis in the downtown areas. I will be in the area of for 2 and a half days ( no car) and will use the light rail to get around. As both cities look interesting, would be happy to stay where its cheaper. Thank you

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,166 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it cheaper to stay in Minneapolis or St Paul?

Hard question to answer because each downtown has it's own set of hotel options. For weekends, I think Minneapolis is the better option, but that's my opinion. When I look hard enough, I can find places which meet my budget when I visit, and I've probably stayed at 2 dozen different places over the years. The advantage is direct lightrail access to the airport. Hotwire and Priceline are options - but stick with 4*. If you truly want budget, then hit one of the first ring suburbs and rent a car.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it cheaper to stay in Minneapolis or St Paul?

We love the Hilton Garden Inn near Arden Hills. It's only a few minutes from downtown Minneapolis but is very handy to arrive at for out of towners. We are of modest means, and the price is very competitive.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,166 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it cheaper to stay in Minneapolis or St Paul?

< It's only a few minutes from downtown Minneapolis >

Definitely more than a "few" minutes - more like 10-15 on a normal day. And not very "handy" for someone who doesn't have a car - see the original post (no car).

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
663 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it cheaper to stay in Minneapolis or St Paul?

I agree with bk_t1, your best option is to stay in Minneapolis. From downtown Mpls, you can easily access the airport & MOA using the blue line, and you can get to St Paul on the green line. At this time, there is no light rail from the airport to downtown St Paul.

Also, there are moderately priced hotels within the downtown Minneapolis area, which has a better nightlife than St Paul.

note: it's hard for me to recommend Minneapolis, because I grew up in & love St Paul, but in your situation I think you'll enjoy your stay much more by staying downtown Mpls.

Edited: 31 May 2016, 21:08
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it cheaper to stay in Minneapolis or St Paul?

Wrong. My son picked me up there and we were at the Metrodome 8 minutes later, I looked at my watch! "THAT'S" a few minutes! I did not have a car either and relied on family or friends, and there are taxis everywhere and the Hilton runs a shuttle. I sure wasn't worried.

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
538 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it cheaper to stay in Minneapolis or St Paul?

The OP is asking for the cheaper option. There is no reason for them to stay in Arden Hills and pay extra for cabs or having to wait for shuttles when they could stay at a hotel in downtown for the same price or cheaper.

"At this time, there is no light rail from the airport to downtown St Paul."

There is route 54 which is a limited stop route that runs from the airport to downtown St Paul.

Anyway, I would say neither downtown is going to be consistently cheaper than the other. You would probably find a better deal in Minneapolis simply due to the fact that there are more hotels in the downtown area, Also, as has been pointed out, there is more to do in downtown Minneapolis.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it cheaper to stay in Minneapolis or St Paul?

The Arden Hills motel is cheaper than downtown.

Look it up, I did.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,166 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it cheaper to stay in Minneapolis or St Paul?

PopeyeBluto : No one here is disagreeing that you can find a budget option in Arden Hills - which is 8-10 minutes away (more than a few, which in my personal definition means 3). BUT, the OP (original poster) has stated clearly that they WILL NOT have a car. Unless the hotel shuttle can take a guest from Arden Hills to downtown, it's really not an option. It seems you have some allegiance to this hotel, but I don't see a review in your reviews.

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
538 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it cheaper to stay in Minneapolis or St Paul?

I did a search on Hilton.com over a couple of dates and the Garden Inn downtown was cheaper than the one in Shoreview (closest to Arden Hills):

6/6: $129 vs $199

6/10: $129 vs $149

7/15: $189 vs $199

If you sign up for the Hilton Honors program, you can get the downtown room even cheaper (the 7/15 room would be $159) but there is no discount for the Shoreview location.

Given that it is OP's first time here, there is really no reason for them to stay in the suburbs where they will have to cab/Uber to get to a hotel (big $$$ from the airport) and then to get anywhere from it - they specifically said they will be using the light rail to get around. Also, I'm not sure what time you drove from there to downtown, but Bing maps shows the route taking 20-30 minutes. It's good that the HGI in Shoreview has worked for you, but it doesn't work for the OP's question.

Edited: 01 June 2016, 20:37
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
663 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it cheaper to stay in Minneapolis or St Paul?

Now now, let's all be nice. OP asked for advice on staying in either downtown with no car. We've given our opinions and what we're basing these opinions on. The OP can decide which fits their travel plans best.

wtcmor - I hope we have lovely weather while you are here & that you enjoy your stay!