We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four days in Minneapolis...ideas are appreciated

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
212 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Four days in Minneapolis...ideas are appreciated

My wife and I are spending 4 days in Minneapolis without the kids. We want to hike, bike, raft (already have some ideas from the Forum that 1 hour north of the city), but also do some shopping. For shopping, we prefer a combo of art galleries, boutiques, and upscale areas. As an example, we'd probably not go to Mall of America. We plan to stay smack in the middle of downtown (Kimpton - The Grand) so we can utilize the rail system and enjoy the restaurants. Any hidden gems or advice for either 1/2 day trips, things accessible using the rail system (or Uber), and shopping areas would be greatly valued.

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four days in Minneapolis...ideas are appreciated

You can take the 6 bus from downtown and go to the Walker Art Center and sculpture garden (modern art) and then on to Uptown, 50th & France, and the Galleria mall - some fairly upscale shopping and dining options around those areas.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
677 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four days in Minneapolis...ideas are appreciated

Unfortunately, the Sculpture Garden is closed for renovations, reopening June 2017.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Four days in Minneapolis...ideas are appreciated

I'd honestly get a car, unless you don't normally drive at home. The light rail is great, but it's rather limited. It's not nearly as extensive as what you'd find in Boston, D.C., or Chicago.

Via light rail, you could visit Minnehaha Falls, then hike the ravine down to where it meets up with the Mississippi.

I've never biked the Grand Rounds, but it's on my bucket list.

Stillwater has many nice shops, but you'd need a car. It's very picturesque on the St. Croix River.

There are some nice shops in Linden Hills around Wild Rumpus Books.

St. Paul, MN, US
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four days in Minneapolis...ideas are appreciated

I would recommend checking out the "North Loop" area of Minneapolis. It's walkable for many people from your hotel but would be a short cab/uber ride. It's the new, hip area of town and there are lots of unique places to check out. You'll find plenty of one-of-a-kind, upscale shops. There's lots of information on northloop.org. I like the 50th & France area too but there are more upscale chains there than unique stores. It's a fun area though.

The Wiesman Art Museum on the east bank of the U campus is pretty fabulous. It's easily accessible on the green line. If you're into clay works, the North Clay Center is terrific. There's a nice gallery and you can walk around and watch artisans at work. There are LOTS of little galleries downtown as well. I'm sure you could make a day/evening of checking them out.

Have a great trip!

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
212 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four days in Minneapolis...ideas are appreciated

Great info everyone...Thanks for the leads!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four days in Minneapolis...ideas are appreciated

Two very nice free things are Minnehaha Park and Como Zoo. Two expensive things are Target Field and the Minnesota Zoo. In between prices are Mall of America and Valley Fair (if you are careful and conservative).

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four days in Minneapolis...ideas are appreciated

Oops, I didn't read your entire post. My ideas are for po' folk like me, with kids.

8. Re: Four days in Minneapolis...ideas are appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2017, 12:17