We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Popular Lake Cottage Areas

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Popular Lake Cottage Areas

I'm wondering where the most popular privately owned lake cottages are, I would like to buy one in an upper middle class section.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Popular Lake Cottage Areas

Any of these areas have larger concentrations of both resorts and lake homes:

1. Detroit Lakes

2. Alexandria (we own a cottage near here). This area would include Lake Minnewaska by Glenwood.

3. Brainerd (we vacationed here a lot before buying)

4. Otter Tail County.

East and West Battle Lake have a large number of cottages. Both lakes have good water quality.

Green Lake near Spicer, MN, is a very nice lake, but homes are $$$.

I don't think there's as much to do in the Detroit Lakes or Otter Tail areas, although that would depend on your interests. If you're content with fishing, boating and golfing, you're good to go.

Lakes adjacent to Alexandria have VERY expensive homes. A two bedroom one bath that's livable will run you about $400,000 and the homes go all the way up to $4,000,000. If you can get on a lake farther away from town, the prices get cheaper.

Otter Tail is fairly cheap, but in my opinion, it's not as scenic as the other areas. Brainerd is really bustling, especially Gull Lake. If you look near Brainerd, I'd try to get on a lake other than Gull unless you don't mind the yuppy feel and the busyness.

And, of course, all this is just based on my opinions and I'm speaking in generalities.

Edited: 01 June 2016, 07:25
2. Re: Popular Lake Cottage Areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2017, 13:17