We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing planes at the airport

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,996 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Changing planes at the airport

Hello. We're considering taking a Delta flight in mid July from Memphis to Omaha that stops in Minneapolis. We'd have to change planes with only a 38 minute stop. Providing the plane is on time, will this be enough time to get from gate to gate? We've never flown through Minneapolis and have no idea of the size, how smoothly it operates, etc. We could take a longer flight with a longer layover in Atlanta, but the one through Minneapolis will get us in Omaha quite a bit earlier. Besides, I already know the Atlanta airport is awful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,275 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing planes at the airport

As you correctly state, MSP is a very efficient and well set up airport, as long as you are on time. Assuming all one ticket, so it's DL's responsibility to accommodate you if you miss it. Here's a pic.

https:/…minneapolis-st-paul.html

38 minutes is tight and DL will close most flights 15-20 minutes before departing - so you have even less overall time. As I viewed options, both segments are often regional jets (nearby gates) - but in one case it was an MD88, so a longer walk (or tram or moving walkway).

What happens if you miss your connection - is there a backup flight afterwards?

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing planes at the airport

Personally, anything under an hour would make me nervous.

We flew Washington DC/Minneapolis/small town in SD, all on the same airline. Got delayed getting out of DC. Ran like we were in the Olympics through the MSP airport. Arrived at our gate on time. Delta wouldn't let us on the plane. Next flight was six hours later.

Bk makes an important point. If there's a good backup flight should you miss your connection, go for it. If not, I'd want a longer layover. At the very least, if you get to choose seats, pick something towards the front of the plane.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing planes at the airport

I would do it, think positively, and maybe the flight to MSP is a little early. Get to know the map, and where the tram and moving walkways are on the long concourses.

If you are flying early in the day, it looks like there are 3 other flights to Omaha on the sample day I looked up.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,996 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing planes at the airport

Thanks for the input. Yes, we're looking at that earliest flight, so we'd have some later options.

5. Re: Changing planes at the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2017, 13:17