We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-day Business Trip: What must I see/eat?

Seaford, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
3-day Business Trip: What must I see/eat?

If you were on a business trip (2 nights) and only had some time at night (after 5) to see things in the Twin Cities what would you see and where would you recommend for dinner and/or dessert? Staying at the MOA, so I'll see that for a bit. 30, likes: good food, desserts, whiskey, good/pretty scenery and photo-ops and doing what locals do/blending in with locals.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,172 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-day Business Trip: What must I see/eat?

I know it's sort of morbid, but if you are a music fan and you may not be back - a visit to the makeshift Prince memorial at Paisley Park, might be of interest. I know a lot of my friends have found comfort in a visit. Conversely, you could take the lightrail downtown and walk some limited sights and grab a nice dinner.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-day Business Trip: What must I see/eat?

Before dark, if you like scenery, take the light rail to Minnehaha Park and see the falls.

Do you have a car? I like going to Centennial Lakes Park (France Ave. exit off 494) and taking a walk around the lake. You'll see locals playing on the tiny golf course and sailing boats. There are some pretty formal gardens.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
663 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-day Business Trip: What must I see/eat?

Will you have a car? That makes a huge difference in what we can recommend.

Here is a recent listing of the 15 best places for whiskey https:/…best-places-whiskey

Seaford, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-day Business Trip: What must I see/eat?

Thanks for the suggestions! I will have a car. My office is in Eagan.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-day Business Trip: What must I see/eat?

First off, I have to say: I loved that on your list of likes you just plugged "whiskey" right in there. I laughed. And then I thought that your list is a lot like mine.

The tricky part here is that you are based a ways out of Mpls, in east Bloomington. The most obvious place to recommend is Tattersall Distilling in NE Mpls. But that is a ways, and it's a place that serves drinks with high alcohol content (obv) ... sooo ....

If you and a group are going and want to split the cost of an uber ride or a taxi, then it would make a good destination.

If you don't want to go up to "Nordeast" there are places you can try Tattersall's products in the downtown area (which is an attractive option as it gives you access to the light rail so no car is needed).

One option is Marvel Bar, which is a speakeasy-type place that is underneath one of the more popular restaurants in the city: Bachelor Farmer. Craft cocktails. Lots of care taken. Kind of a cool place. You could do dinner above at Bachelor Farmer and get one of their desserts. And head down the stairs through the speakeasy-ish way into Marvel Bar for a nightcap.

I was at Dakota jazz club recently and noticed they had Tattersall products there. If you like jazz you could look into their calendar. It's nothing that will top the NYC clubs but it's a nice place with at least one bourbon (or rye?) you haven't had. And if you have tried Tattersall, then I am impressed.

Now, to prove to you I'm not a raging soak, I will move on to things not involving alcohol:

To be where the locals are with pretty photo ops -- that's the riverfront area (mill district) on the Mississippi in Minneapolis. Stone Arch Bridge, lots of active people out and about, vibrancy etc etc. Very good cityscapes for your camera. A little exposure to history of the city that was the world's leading food producer for decades back when the flour mills on the river were active (Pillsbury, General Mills, Betty Crocker -- recognize those brands?)

So I could see after your work function you (and some friends?) hop the light rail to Minneapolis (use the 28th Ave Station near the mall) and get off at the Downtown East station (check out that enormous new NFL stadium -- holy crap it's huge; also, this station is in process of being named US Bank Stadium station in case you see that name instead of Downtown East). From there, short 5-6 blocks walk tot he riverfront via Portland Ave.

I think you could spend an hour strolling around and taking pictures on the bridge, across the bridge in St. Anthony Main, on the Merriam Street Bridge, on the Hennepin Avenue Bridge (get a shot of the Grain Belt sign!). Maybe reading some of the signage about the history of the area. Very picturesque.

From there, you aren't far from Bachelor Farmer. (NOTE: get a reservation). Easy taxi or uber ride.

Another pairing is Bar La Grassa (not far away, on North Washington) with Parlour cocktail lounge across the street. I like Bar La Grassa more than Bachelor Farmer, but I like the speakeasy thing with Marvel Bar better than Parlour. Your call.

Now, back to the booze because this just occurred to me.

In Eagan, a new place just opened that is getting very good reviews. It's called Volstead (yes, as in the Prohibition legislation) and it's in classic suburbia but said to be very cozy place with really good selections. Fire pits, rooftop (I heard). I haven't been there, for full disclosure. But I mention because you will be in Eagan and might need an after work place to go with coleagues. And there is honestly NOTHING else around Eagan other than chain restaurants. Suburbia with a capital S.

Hope those ideas get the wheels turning.

other places to be sure to visit: Sea Salt at Minneahaha Park (very crowded because it's really good -- no liquor but they have good wine and beer selections). Very informal place where you order at the counter and they bring your food out. On a patio next to famous Minnehaha Falls in a very beautiful park. Outdoor beers and waterfalls! It is accessible via light rail. Minnehaha Park/50th Street Station.

And finally, maybe the prettiest part of Mpls: Lake Harriett. You will need a car for that but it is very picturesque and will definitely feature vibrant people out soaking up the outdoors. Beautiful homes, sailboats, nice area.

FINAL NOTE: I mention light rail. For what I mentioned above, you would use only the Blue line. The Green and Blue Lines share a track downtown and then split off at Downtown East station, which I think might be called US Bank Stadium station by now. Green Line takes you to St. Paul, which I don't think you want.

Seaford, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-day Business Trip: What must I see/eat?

Thanks for that really thorough response with great recommendations! I actually rarely drink but really like doing whiskey tastings (I did it all throughout Ireland), and like trying new things while I'm traveling. I know beer is more of a thing out there, but I can't drink beer...so whiskey. I was looking at the Volstead online a few weeks back when I found out I was going and am thinking about trying it for a business lunch. This is all really helpful though!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-day Business Trip: What must I see/eat?

I see. I think you have a variety of places to try whiskey flights. I mentioned Marvel. You can do that there. I am not sure how it would go if the place was crowded at peak business time. But although they make craft cocktails there, they also do flights of bourbon (and I thought rye as well).

Happy Gnome in St. Paul would be another spot known for whiskeys and tastings. And it's a great place in a cool area of St. Paul. Not easy to reach by public transport so you might need the car.

If scotch is your thing, then the St. Paul Grille.

Bourbon also can be tasted at Butcher and the Boar.

Hope that helps?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,172 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3-day Business Trip: What must I see/eat?

Wow, this shows me how out of touch I am - I still think The Local is cool. Anyways, good CityPages article here, and confirms all that mn has stated.

citypages.com/restaurants/7-best-bars-for-wh…

9. Re: 3-day Business Trip: What must I see/eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2017, 13:17