We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Twins game & juicy lucy

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
139 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Twins game & juicy lucy

We are staying in Hudson WI but going to Twins game Friday, I just saw a reference to a juicy Lucy and know people in our party would like that. Are any of the places known for that close to the stadium? As of right now we planned to take train into game.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Twins game & juicy lucy

If you plan on taking the train, you could go get an original Lucy at the 5-8 in south Mpls and then park at the park and ride nearby and ttake the train in (Blue Line, northbound).

5-8 club and Matt's are the ones with the claim to being the first to make a Juicy Lucy. 5-8 is a little more convenient to light rail parking.

If you decide you prefer Matt's, you could go there and then park on a side street a few blocks to the south and east and then board at the 38th Street Station.

Both places are very good. Matt's a little more popular. 5-8 a little more blue collar.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Twins game & juicy lucy

If you are coming from the east, you might consider the "copycat" options in St. Paul - at Nook or Blue Door. Then, park up near the Green Line and head into downtown Minneapolis. If you haven't done so, look at metrotransit.org to get an idea of the existing rail network.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Twins game & juicy lucy

That is an option as well. The thing to make sure about is parking. When you are parking nearby a light rail station, you will find some streets that are permit only (with the owners of the homes on that street holding those permits so they can park). Just make sure you check the signs. The closer to the station means more likely parking is permit-restricted.

Of the choices given, I would suggest the Nook over the Blue Door. Both are great though. The nice part of the Nook for a baseball fan is it's right across from the baseball field at Cretin-Derham Hall, where Joe Mauer played in high school. And their burgers are outstanding. I like the no-frills places.

It would definitely shorten your drive, too.

NOTE: the permit restriction issue would also apply to my scenario above where you go to Matt's and park in walking distance of 38th Street Station for the Blue Line. (Going to the Blue Door in SP or the Nook in SP would mean you use the Green Line).

Just make sure you take the appropriate train line (green or blue) to where you parked and what line you rode in. Both green and blue use the same track in downtown Minneapolis and split off at US Bank Stadium station. Each train will have a blue or green square in the front window, Make sure to pay attention!

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
538 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Twins game & juicy lucy

I prefer Matt's, but there can be quite a wait to be seated (it has taken over an hour for me before) and get your food because it is a tiny placed usually staffed by only 2 or 3 people. So if you are trying to plan out and make it to a game on time, the 5-8 is probably a better bet.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1,070 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Twins game & juicy lucy

The Town Ball Tavern IN Target Field is a restaurant that makes a delicious juicy lucy and your right there! Excellent food for a stadium. My favorite place to dine at Target Field.

St. Paul, MN, US
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Twins game & juicy lucy

As someone mentioned, the original 5-8 is close to some Blue Line parking areas. If you're going to park in/near St. Paul and take the Green Line, you could go to the 5-8 on Robert Street in West St Paul on your commute to/from wher ever you are going to park. It's about 5 miles south of downtown St. Paul. There’s a mess of construction in the area so they are offering some BOGO coupons on their website. It doesn't have the atmosphere of the original but the burgers are delicious!

Edited: 17 June 2016, 04:02
7. Re: Twins game & juicy lucy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2017, 12:17