We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thinking about octoberfest

Leawood, KS
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
thinking about octoberfest

We have never been to Hermann for octoberfest and we have some questions. First, is it a big, fun, party in the streets with beer gardens or is it just a winery deal? We are not the type that like peaceful, quiet vacations and we are not fans of picnics and walks in the country. Also, where is a good place to stay? We are not bed and breakfast types but we could deal with it if it was a big enough of a party outside.

Yes, we are heathens and I apologize to the refined folks that may be reading this that probably dread folks like us!

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thinking about octoberfest

Ok, where to start…..let me see.

@ “First, is it a big, fun, party in the streets with beer gardens or is it just a winery deal?”

- Yes. HA. Let me explain a little. It used to be just a winery (wine) deal, I’d say like 97% wine/3% beer. And this was mainly because wine had been made here for years and years and no real brewery. The oldest family owned winery in the US is in Hermann. Then about 6 years or so a great brewery was started called the Tin Mill Brewery. They are part of the Hermannhof Winery, and their ownership has done TREMENDOUS things to the downtown area as far as building new things to look old and restoring old buildings to look fantastic. So with this new brewery, they created a biergarten, and a Hofgarten across the street. So beer is playing a bigger part in Hermann’s Octoberfest. I’d say its 80% wine/20% beer now. That doesn’t seem like much, but it has really only been a few years since the brewery opened. Now Octoberfest in Hermann is NEVER going to be centered around bier like Oktoberfest in München, wine is just too intertwined in the community. But that’s ok, it is what it is, and it’s GREAT.

- It’s not really “in” the streets per say. There are a few stands selling bratwursts and things, but no real drinking and stuff. That’s in the winery’s, the Hofgarten and the Tin Mill. They don’t close off any streets or anything, at least they haven’t yet.

- There are a few “tents”, like circus tents, not like Wiesn tents. I think they serve beer and things, but they are mostly for dancing and listing to bands. I haven’t been to them in a few years……since they opened the brewery haha.

- Is it a big fun party? YES.

@ “We are not the type that like peaceful, quiet vacations and we are not fans of picnics and walks in the country.”

- This is your kind of place. Now it will be pretty normal early, but around 2-3pm (when everyone gets a little wine or beer in them) things will start ramping up the fun a little. But don’t expect people dancing on the tables and stuff, just good fun with lots of laughing and things.

- Sundays are pretty quiet if you stay.

- Oh and remember Octoberfest in Hermann is the first 4 weekends in October, not the traditional Oktoberfest dates.

@ “Also, where is a good place to stay? We are not bed and breakfast types but we could deal with it if it was a big enough of a party outside.”

- YES, there are many many wonderful places to stay in Hermann. But don’t worry about it because they are all booked up for this year. Most are booked out at least a year in advance. But you could always try and call them, you might get lucky.

- BUT, in my best German accent from Beerfest……you seem like schporting fellows no? You can always do what many of us do……we camp out in the city park. There will be anywhere from 50 to 200 tents in the city park depending on which weekend it is. If there is a home MU Football game, less crowded. The 3rd weekend is generally the biggest for some reason, so more crowded. If the weather is going to be good or bad….etc. We have camped when it was below freezing, snowed, rained, 83 degrees, you just never know. But it’s always fun. And the camping has some good parties too.

- I think they are charging $10 per day per tent now. But it’s pretty nice. There is a men’s and women’s shower and bathroom.

- It’s about a mile walk from the downtown (1st and Guttenberg St, where most of the stuff is going on) to the city park. So we usually just walk back to the tents. Stone Hill Winery is very close to the city park.

@ “Yes, we are heathens and I apologize to the refined folks that may be reading this that probably dread folks like us!”

- Thanks for apologizing. HA I hope we see ya there! I’ll be the guy in the lederhosen with the hot wife in her dirndl.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I’m not a Hermann expert, but we go to Hermann about 10 times a year for different things and festivals, Maifest is coming up! And we’ve been to October fest for 14 years straight.

PROST!!

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thinking about octoberfest

I'm pretty proud of myself, I posted that entire thing without saying anything bad about KU. ; )

Leawood, KS
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thinking about octoberfest

the KU part is my husband's fault. I am a Missouri educated gal! Thanks for all of your great information!

KCK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thinking about octoberfest

We aren't what you would call B&B people either, but I have found that a lot of the B&B's in Hermann have private entrances, which helps a lot. We have stayed at Hermann Hill, Hermanhoff (in the houses) and Schiller Suites in the Library Suite. All were nice. Schiller was probably cheaper, they provided a continental style breakfast in your room. Hermann Hill we stayed in the houses on this hill, really nice, loved the hot tub on the private deck with a river view, and the grill, great amenities, really good breakfast provided in the room. Hermanhoff houses were great too, and really convenient, you go to the Festhall for breakfast which was very nice.

Of the three, Hermanhoff and Schiller were more convenient to just walk back to your room after a long day and maybe a bit too much to drink. Hermann Hill is a very short drive.

5. Re: thinking about octoberfest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2017, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Hermann