We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good eating

Kansas
3 posts
Save Topic
Good eating

Hello.

I'm out to find some good places to have lunch or to eat in general.

I know of all the generic places but on either Missouri and Kansas side. But what places, to you, are those great ones tucked away and hiding? The more hole-in-the-wall the better.

If you want a good lunch, where do you go?

Original KC Barbecue Tour
137 Reviews
from US$72.00*
Kansas City Museums Parks And History...
20 Reviews
from US$70.00*
Free Cancellation
Kansas City Segway Tour: Country Club...
11 Reviews
from US$60.00*
Free Cancellation
kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good eating

you have me thinking......hmm

The Peanut has a good BLT- and it is a hole in the wall!

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good eating

Hi Inariya,

If you like subs, Planet Sub is the place to go. There are several locations in Kansas City. My favorite is the Crab Californian (surimi, cream cheese, sprouts, tomatoes, salsa, and guacamole), but there are lots of varieties from which to choose.

http://www.planetsub.com/flash.html

Planet Sub is one of only a handful of places I miss since I moved to Mexico six years ago. I've tried replicating the Crab Cali and come close, but just can duplicate the bread.

¡Provecho!

Cindi

Aliceville, KS
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good eating

Downtown KC, MO - I'd go to Cascone's Grill, across the street from the City Market on 5th Street. It's a dive cafe with fresh hot cakes, eggs with italian sausage and toasted italian bread, and good coffee, or go west a little into the bottoms to Woodswether Cafe for handmade burgers and homemade pie.

Southwest Boulevard -- You can't hardly go wrong on the boulevard. Tex-Mex is good at Ponak's, Manny's or Margaritas (I like Ponak's best, but them's fightin' words to others). La Fonda might be more what you are after, and their chile is out of this world. A little more upscale, but not very expensive during happy hour, is a trip for tapas and sangria at La Bodega in its lovely, under-the-overpass setting on the Boulevard.

For some reasonable opinions ... try a visit to: www.kclunchspots.com

Kansas City
Level Contributor
46 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good eating

Lill's on 17th street on the Westside of downtown. It in an older house, very small. Runs $20-35 per person for dinner, but does have lunch specials. Reservations are good idea on wknds. Try the bacon wrapped dates.

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good eating

What kind of food do you like?

Strouds is a great place to eat and a KC favorite. The house appears to be leaning at a 6 degree angle. The fried chicken is fresh. Their motto? We choke our own chickens. Visit the original North location. The newer south location just feels like a chain.

Smokebox north of the river has the best Club sandwiches. This is a strip mall BBQ place. Although it is a BBQ place, try the sandwich. The place still has the original decor from when we first moved to MO.

Justice's Drug Store in Smithville has a quality chef. Yes, it is a renovated drug store in the middle of no where. It is worth the visit.

Lydia's is located in the warehouse district right across from the railroad tracks. If you can actually find it, you will love it. Try the Sunday brunch for a rounded taste of everything.

Then there is Oklahoma Joe's. The lines outside this Gas Station form early and stay late. It has the best BBQ in town. For the best view sit on the East side of the restaurant. From there you get a nice view of the attached liquor store. Fill up your tank with gas, buy liquor and get BBQ. It doesn't get much more practical than this.

6. Re: Good eating

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2010, 12:16