We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting St. Louis

Which Saint Louis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ATL
14 posts
Save Topic
Visting St. Louis

Hello - My husband and I (we are in our late 30's/early 40's) will be going to St. Louis next month Nov for the weekend. We have never been to St. Louis before so any suggestions on what areas to go to for resturants, bars, clubs, music and entertainment would be great. Also anything that we must go to or see would be helpful.

Thanks

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visting St. Louis

It would be helpful if you let us know some more info - where you are staying, likes/dislikes, etc. There are a number of posts to peruse for ideas, and if you have some more specific questions, let 'em fly.

Downtown St. Louis is compact, but other attractions are spread out over a pretty wide area.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visting St. Louis

St. Louis has several great neighborhoods you can explore. Washington Avenue downtown (between 10th and 14th) has several good restaurants and bars. Same with the Central West End, where the main hub of activity is Maryland Plaza and Euclid. Other neighborhoods you might enjoy are the Delmar Loop (more like college town), South Grand (more ethnic diversity - including a few good Vietnamese restaurants), the Hill (Italian restaurants), Lafayette Square (elegant stone homes, a few very good restaurants and bars - a favoriet date spot for us) and Soulard (bars and restaurants). There are some great neighborhoods I could send you to and you'd have fun. Some that tourists would probably not stumble upon - Clayton, Maplewood, Kirkwood, the Grove, Midtown. Sometimes I feel like we have too many options.

Here is a short list of excellent restaurants you might want to visit:

Sidney Street

Salt

Trattoria Marcella

Brasserie by Niche

Farmhaus

Monarch

I Frattelini

The Crossing

Mango

That should get you started. Use TA and Yelp to get more info, or let us know what type of food, price range, atmosphere you like and we can direct you.

ATL
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visting St. Louis

Thank you so much for the info you provided on St. Louis. I did find out that we are staying at the Haytt Regency/The Arch. I don't think we will be renting a car so would love suggestions within walking distance or reasonable taxi fare. Love suggestions on some great BBQ places. We like to drink wine and I hear there are some great wine bars. We eat pretty much anything, fish/seafood is one of our favorites so a great sushi place or seafood/steak place and we like Italian. Love some great suggestions on places for lunch or a great Brunch place. Also a great sports bar where we can watch NFL games on Sunday.

Thanks again.

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visting St. Louis

In order of query:

Despite having a type of rib named after it, St. Louis is mostly a backyard BBQ town. However, the last few years have seen several very fine places open:

Bogart's in Soulard is my fave, near downtown, almost walkable, but I'd cab it, short ride, while there, explore the Soulard Market and a beautiful St. Louis residential neighborhood. Pappy's is on Midtown on Olive, maybe 2 miles from your hotel, cab it, beware of very long waits at peak times, esp. for Pappy's. I must give a plug for Smoki O's north of the Jones Dome, on Broadway: gritty area, but great hole-in-the-wall place, super nice people. The beef brisket with hot sauce (get it on the side) is not to be missed.

Wine Bars: check out the Bridge, on Locust, adjacent to a nice independent bookstore, Left Bank Books. Most other wine bars are out in the neighborhoods. Copia is another one close to your hotel, on Washington Ave.

Steak: I have not been, but have heard very good things about Prime 1000, which is on Washington Ave. in the loft district, which is the north edge of downtown. This is the area with most of the good shops, good independent eateries, clubs, and the like. Very active into the wee hours. Use big city street smarts, but this is where things will be happening in terms of street life. Also in this area that I would recommend: Mango (Peruvian), Lucas Street Grille (contemporary American), Mosaic (tapas).

Italian: St. Louis has a large Italian community called the Hill, not a fan of some of the places as they are touristy. Slightly off the Hill is Trattoria Marcella. I have heard great things about Stellina Pasta Cafe, also in the area, but have not been. This area is a further cab ride from downtown.

In the Hill proper, Adriana's does wonderful Sicilian sandwiches and pastas (lunch only), and there are many other Italian choices - Gian-Tony's would be a pretty good choice. Also in the Hill is Five, and excellent American bstro, and Modesto, probably the best Spanish tapas place in the city.

Not a sports bar fan so I can't help there, but I do recommend the brunch at Vin de Set, near downtown on Chouteau, they have a rooftop dining area and if weather cooperates eating up there is lovely, also the brunch at Nadoz in the old Coronado Hotel in Grand Center is very good, or was the last time I was there. both of these would be a shortish cab ride.

For cabsa, I recommend Laclede (red). They will be plentiful at the Convention Center and downtown hotels, otherwise you will need to call for one.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 01 November 2011, 05:15
St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
977 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visting St. Louis

I'll give you some suggestions close to your hotel.

On Washington Ave - Copia (wine bar + good seafood), Lucas Park Grill (steak/seafood), Prime 1000 (Steak/Seafood), Wasabe (Sushi), Mosaic (tapas)

On Locust - Bridge Tap Room (and Wine Bar).

On Market - Mike Shannon's Steaks / Seafood.

Italian - The first three are pretty close to the Hyatt - Kemoll's (on the top of the Metropolitan Tower - great view), Tony's - (at one time, St. Louis's only Mobil 5 star restaurant), Gio's Ristorante (on Market). Cielo - (in the Four Seasosn's Hotel - also a nice view + great outdoor patio).

You could walk to all the above. I'd probably cab it back from the places on Washington Ave.

BBQ - Pappy's - on Olive (great BBQ, cab ride; they do run out, but I've only eaten lunch there and never had a problem)

If what you like about Wine bars is the wine, 33 Wine, in Lafeyette Sq is IMHO the best in town for selection / price. Food is limited to cheese, crackers. (cab ride)

Saint Louis...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visting St. Louis

If you are interested in property in STL - you should check with a realtor. If you are looking in the city area - have Upper End show you around: www.upperendproperties.com. If you are interested in the county area - I recommend Sandy: www.samandsandy.com.

Good Luck!

7. Re: Visting St. Louis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:16