We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip.winnipeg to montana

Winnipeg, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
road trip.winnipeg to montana

I will be travelling with my 12 and 13 year old in july.Driving to Regina,Sask.then south.Son wants to fish.Daughter wants to shop.We are using Best Western travel cards and also want to tent.Would really appreciate any tips,deals and camp site info.

Mentioned in this post
Regina
Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada
Custer State Park Safari Jeep...
2 Reviews
from US$249.00*
Free Cancellation
Mount Rushmore and More Tour
170 Reviews
from US$85.20*
Free Cancellation
Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip.winnipeg to montana

Where are you headed in the big state of Montana?

Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Winnipeg, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip.winnipeg to montana

We were thinking driving through and even going into Wyoming.I only have 2 weeks off work though and Montana is a BIg state.

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Montana
Montana
United States
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip.winnipeg to montana

Sorry, can't comment on fishing and camping for the trip. Hopefully someone else can step in here for that.

Don't know if you're aware, but with the exception of a couple of small places like Red Lodge & West Yellowstone, Montana does not have a sales tax. But it also does not have big 'cities'; the biggest is Billings (about 100,000). We'll be doing some shopping there (Rimrock Mall) this September; I think they will at least have a better variety than we do here, lol. So - with 2 weeks (how much time in Regina?) I would suggest doing a loop (allowing for fishing somewhere?):

Regina to Billings - about a 7 1/2 hr. drive w/o stops - spend 1 night & do some shopping.

Billings to NE entrance of YNP - about a 3 hr. drive w/o stops. However, you would want to check out the town of Red Lodge & stop several times along the Beartooth Hwy - spectacular scenery. Spend 2 nights in YNP (it's huge so you could only cover a couple of areas because of your limited time) and exit out east entrance. Great if you could add 1 more night here.

E. entrance of YNP to Cody, WY - driving time would depend on where you were staying in YNP. Check out the website for YNP- great maps with travel info. I would spend 1 night in Cody, which would set you up well for travel the next day to The Black Hills in SD.

Cody, WY to - Spearfish, SD - about a 5 & 1/2 hr drive w/o stops. Travel via The Bighorn Mountains hwy 14/16/20 / I-90 to Spearfish. With stops in The Bighorns & maybe Devil's Tower?, I would spend 1 night in Spearfish.

Spearfish, SD to Custer, SD - about a 1 1/2 hr. drive w/o stops. Leave Spearfish via Spearfish Canyon, down hwy 85 thru Hill City and drive past Crazy Horse. Spend 2 nights in The Black Hills: Do Jewel or Wind Cave, Iron Mtn. Rd. (south to north - better views), picnic at Sylvan Lake , Needles Hwy., the loop in Custer State Park. Again, check out the maps for The Black Hills - excellent info and gives you a good idea of where places are.

Custer, SD to Sioux Falls, SD - about a 6 hr. drive. You would have time to do a drive thru of the Badlands on your way. Sioux Falls has the Empire Mall.

Sioux Falls, SD to Winnipeg, MB - about a 7 hr. drive w/o stops.

So - these are just suggestions; if you're wanting to travel thru Montana & Wyoming, I assumed you were interested in beautiful scenery & scenic driving, and national parks like Yellowstone?? Also, didn't know how much time you had left after Regina, SK. If you include more info: likes, dislikes, etc., you may get more helpful responses. Have fun planning your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
Regina
Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
The Black Hills
The Black Hills
South Dakota
Custer
Custer
South Dakota
Spearfish Canyon
Spearfish Canyon
615 Reviews
Spearfish, SD
Hill City
Hill City
South Dakota
Sylvan Lake
Sylvan Lake
1,535 Reviews
Custer, SD
Custer State Park
Custer State Park
4,919 Reviews
Custer, SD
Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
The Empire Mall
The Empire Mall
35 Reviews
Sioux Falls, SD
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Montana
Montana
United States
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip.winnipeg to montana

Tried to edit but time ran out.

Just wanted to mention that the kids would probably like West Yellowstone - lots of little shops, Bear & Wolf Discovery Center, etc.

I would go to the websites for SD, Montana and Wyoming and request their free vacation guides. So - you have lots of homework & reading to do! Have fun planning!!!

Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Winnipeg, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip.winnipeg to montana

We only plan to stay overnight in Regina.I have all sorts of brochures on Montana and Wyoming.Maybe we will drive through Montana and concentrate on Wyoming....lots to do there?

Mentioned in this post
Regina
Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada
Montana
Montana
United States
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip.winnipeg to montana

If you're now concentrating on Wyoming, I suggest posting in the Wyoming forum too.

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip.winnipeg to montana

Less to do in Wyoming than Montana, in my opinion.

Yellowstone is mainly in Wyoming, as are the Grand Tetons. But once you leave the area surrounding the park there is less to do.

Do you want to just make tracks between the area and Winnipeg or see things on the way there and back?

If you're interested in fishing, the greater area from Livingston over to Three Forks and south to the WY border is world class blue ribbon fishing territory. This includes the Yellowstone and its tributaries (near Livingston) and the three tributaries of the Missouri (the Madison, Jefferson and Gallatin). Many can be fished with small spinners on light tackle from streamside. Going with a guide in a drift boat is great but super spendy (there are movie stars and rich tourists to pay high rates). You can also fish for native cutthroats in YNP. Different fishing licenses and regulations in each state and in the National Park.

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Montana
Montana
United States
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
8. Re: road trip.winnipeg to montana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2012, 00:35
Winnipeg, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: road trip.winnipeg to montana

Am looking to travel from Winnipeg to montana with 3 dogs ( well behaved) . Need a list of hotels or motels. We wou

D like to get to cutters last stand in Montana. Help

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada
Montana
Montana
United States
Winnipeg, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: road trip.winnipeg to montana