We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JW Marriott Phu Quoc

Windermere, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
JW Marriott Phu Quoc

Hi

We are travelling to Vietnam later this week after a couple of nights in Bangkok.

It's our first time to Asia having spent previous trips extensively exploring North America and many parts of Europe. Our normal style is to book a flight, hire a car and just go. Therefore this will be a different holiday to what we are used to but we are really keen to see a small part of Asia which hopefully will bring us back for more. We are an active couple, early 30s and very much like to explore.

Our loose itinary so far: Bangkok 2 night, Hanoi 3 nights, fly to Da Nang, Hoi An 4 nights, fly Da Nang to Cat Tho, Cat Tho 1 night, fly to HCMC fly to Phu Quoc 5 nights fly to BKK 1 night home.

I've been looking at the Marriott on Phu Quoc to relax at the end of our trip, which I believe to be new and TA has some brilliant reviews of the hotel but I can't get a picture of what's around the hotel. I believe there are no buses so we would be reliant on taxis. Is there any where to walk or cycle to? Other restaurants etc to get out of the hotel? Although we are happy sunbathing for a few hours each day it would be great to have the opportunity to do more if possible?

We would be there the first week on July (I know the weather would be hit and miss)

Also considering a similar hotel on Koh Samui and Hua Hin

Thank you

7 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,467 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: JW Marriott Phu Quoc

Hi Heath,

"Cat Tho 1 night, fly to HCMC fly to Phu Quoc"

You can't fly Can Tho to HCMC, but you can fly from Can Tho to Phu Quoc.

You can then fly back to HCMC from PQ.

Scott

Level Contributor
371 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JW Marriott Phu Quoc

Hi

No need to fly from Can Tho to HCMC (which you cannot do any how). Just fly from Can Tho to Phu Quoc and then Phu Quoc to HCMC.

Regards

Disardo

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JW Marriott Phu Quoc

There is nothing really on "walking" distance at the Mariott. The beach and the property itself is beautifull though. I would only book it if I wasn't planning on leaving the hotelsite, and just enjoy the facilities there. There is a port town nearby, but you need a motorcycle of bicycle to go there, and there wasn't much to see/do (no other tourists).

If you want a nice hotel in the middle of the action (close to other restaurants, shops and tours) you should look to hotels like Salinda, La Veranda, Cassia etc.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JW Marriott Phu Quoc

We stayed at Saigon Phu Quoc Resort. An older hotel but very near the town of Duong Dong. Had a great atmosphere, some rooms a bit tired but they are constantly refurbishing. Nice enough beach, and very good pool area. The town is interesting for a walk around, especially in the evening when the Night Market is operating, lots of options for food. We took a tour of the island and saw several of the new hotels being built down the coast, did not go into them, but they seem to be well away from anything, you would need to get a taxi to go anywhere outside the hotel.

Chino Hills...
Level Contributor
61 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JW Marriott Phu Quoc

You will love JW Marriott. If you are keen for local lifestyle there's a hotel shuttle to the night markets every day around 6pm that returns at 9pm. The distance is about 25 minutes to cover in a shuttle, and 30-35 minutes on a motorbike. The town nearby really does not have anything for you if you don't speak Vietnamese, but Duong Dong is very touristy and you can get around by yourself quite easily.

The hotel itself is absolutely stunning, second only to Bill Bensley's Intercontinental Da Nang.

Level Contributor
371 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JW Marriott Phu Quoc

Hi milty908

You failed to mention that those are your opinions and based on your experience. What one person likes another might hate,

No offence intended

Disardo

Level Contributor
371 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JW Marriott Phu Quoc

Hi Heath56

I have not been to JW since it was built. BUT before JW 'took the beach from the locals' it was a beautiful crescent shaped beach where you could go and watch the locals fish and eat freshly made sushi from the freshly caught fish. Now..........

As for things to do in the local community then there is nothing.

Disardo

Edited: 28 July 2017, 22:35
Reply to: JW Marriott Phu Quoc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted