We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting there?

Warragul, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Getting there?

What's the cheapest way to get to phu quoc island? I know a lot of people catch flights in and out but I've also heard people talk about ferries. Does anyone have any information on this in regards to times or prices or anything? Will be going for a week at the end of July

5 replies to this topic
Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting there?

Can Tho Phuong Trang bus to Rach Gia port high speed boat to Phu Quoc island!

Cheers,

DinHo

Phu Quoc Island...
Level Contributor
180 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting there?

Bus tickets from HCMC to either Ha Tien or Rach Gia ...let's say about 10usd. (about 6 hours)

- Phuong Trang Bus Company...AC buses with Wifi, comfortable, reliable.

Buses leave about every hour of the day.

Boat tickets from Ha Tien (1.5 hours) or Rach Gia (2.5 hours) to Phu Quoc...about 15usd.

AC inside the boat, but after leaving the port they open up the back door and you can relax on the deck outside if good weather

Boats leave anywhere from 6:30am - 1/2pm and typically have 3-4 transfers a day I believe.

Superdong is the name of the boat company.

It's cheaper by bus and boat, but you save a lot of time taking a 1 hour flight instead.

Edited: 04 July 2017, 10:38
Warragul, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting there?

Thanks so much for the feedback, might reconsider if it's worth catching a flight

Level Contributor
370 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting there?

Hi

If you are going to get the Superdong from Ha Tien then get a direct bus from Can Tho. No point in changing buses and/or bus station in Rach Gia.

The Superdong fare from Rach Gia is 350,000vnd and takes about 2hrs 20mins. From Ha Tien it costs 230,000vnd and takes about 1hr 20mins. Journey times can be longer due to weather and departure times can and do change at short notice.

See:-

https:/…fastferry

One note - if anyone plans to take a motorbike to Phu Quoc then the best and cheapest option is going via car ferry at Ha Tien. There are no car ferries (as of yet) from Rach Gia. See the below link for details:-

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g63552…

The Superdong can only take about 6 motorbikes and as well as paying for yourself and the bike, you have to pay for them to put the bike on the Superdong and then take it off when you arrive at Phu Quoc.

Regards

Disardo

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting there?

Hello,

I caught a flight to Phu Quoc from Can Tho Airport which took under an hour, I returned back to HCMC and the flight was about an hour and a quarter.

This was definitely the quickest way due to not needing to be at the airport for very long when domestic flights, and I booked the flights 3 months in advance and I didn't find it particularly expensive at all.

I only travelled as part of a 2 week holiday so ferries etc didn't make best use of time as a personal experience.

Hope this helps

Tara

Reply to: Getting there?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Phu Quoc Island