We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused with Visa

Ware, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
Confused with Visa

Currently planned to be in Ho Chi Minh for 13 days including travel days but I want to visit Phu Quoc Island for 3 days in the 13.

I am from the UK the Phu Quoc Island guide website is confusing it mentions stuff about not entering mainland Vietnman etc. All i want to do is travel there within the 15 days free that I have for my stay in Ho Chi minh is this allowed?

29 replies to this topic
phu quoc
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused with Visa

As long as u dont stay more than 15 days in Vietnam, no problem. Phu quoc is part of Vietnam so ur 15 days free visa will apply.

Ware, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused with Visa

Thanks for information

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused with Visa

FYI: If you overstay, you will be fined at the airport.

I am curious to know if you have a 15 day visa exemption, or a 30 day visa exemption for Phu Quoc, and you wanted to stay longer what would you have to do? Leave the country, obtain a visa and come back or can this be done while you are in Vietnam?

Anybody know?

Ware, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused with Visa

Question regarding overstay If its not my fault ala flight gets cancelled what do I have to do sorry for sounding strange is my first time of travel outside of europe and Visa are all very new to me.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
5,256 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused with Visa

Don't worry about such things, it's very unlikely that your flight will be cancelled and you can't fly out for over 1 day.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused with Visa

As long as you are at immigration or past it when the visa runs out ,you will be ok.

phu quoc
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused with Visa

Ur insurance would cover normally.

If not, u would receive a fine at immigration when leaving.

Contrary to Thailand, it is not a fix amount. Some people i know where charge up to 25$ for one extra day. But dont expect a receipt :-)

Ningbo, China
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused with Visa

What I understand about Phu Quoc Island, if you are visited just only the island and no where else you do not need a visa. If you visit the island first. Fly from HK to HCMC and transfer to the island you still shouldn't need a visa. If you going to visit mainland Vietnam you than you will need a visa... I also doubled check because I am going there this week. However, I'm also visiting mainland Vietnam, so I need a visa.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
658 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused with Visa

The all no visa for Phu Quoc is theoretical as long as there is no direct flight to Phu Quoc island. So lets not confuse people. it is not the case for the OP anyway and it brought a lot of confusion in the past.

Maybe better not mentioning it.

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused with Visa

#8 is correct. #9 is wrong. It is better to get visa information from businesses who exclusively deal with vietnam visa's and/or government officials than hotel managers who troll these forums.

Resources:

https:/…

https://www.vietnam-evisa.org/news/view/fore…

https:/…Visa_policy_of_Vietnam

Reply to: Confused with Visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Phu Quoc Island
Recent Conversations