We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moremi + Okavango Itinerary Help

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Moremi + Okavango Itinerary Help

Hi,

I'm planning a self-drive 4X4 trip. We are flexible with time and really would love to explore Moremi and Okavango. We will be driving from Linyanti. Do you have recommendations on how many days/ nights spend and where?

I was thinking 3-4 nights in Third Bridge camp. I know we can do a mocoro trip from Mboba boat station. Or should we do a boat trip from Maun instead? If we are staying 3-4 nights in Third Bridge, do we still need to stay in Maun?

Any places in South West of the delta that are a must?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Moremi Game Reserve
Moremi Game Reserve
Okavango Delta, Botswana
Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Moremi + Okavango Itinerary Help

Hello Tanya

If you ill be doing third bridge then its kay o do a mokoro trip there, spend those 3/4nights and you can see a lot, then you can just do a night in Maun just to wind -up , so here there is no need to do a mokoro or boat.

Hope this helps

Maile - NDM Travel Agency owner

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
61 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moremi + Okavango Itinerary Help

We spent three nights in Moremi this March. Two nights at Third Bridge and one at Khwai Northgate.

Wildlife was abundant and I'd of happily stayed another day had our schedule permitted, but it was our first safari and we'd already scheduled following nights in Chobe so had to press on. We saw a wide variety of wildlife including lions on two occasions, a cheetah with two cubs, lots of giraffe, baboon, wildebeest, hippo, etc.

I don't think you'd find 3-4 days too many. Particularly as the boat tour will take up much of one of those days.

RE the boat tour? You can indeed take it from Mboba, at the point of the delta. But if the water level in the delta is high enough, you can also take it directly from Third Bridge. There is a landing there near the campsites, and the Mboba guys will come down and pick you up on site if the water is deep enough. Inquire at the ranger station. This would save you an hours drive each way from the campsite to Mboba. (Not that that's a hardship as you view game all the way, but it would make for a more relaxing day if you wanted to have one day of not driving.

And while the mocoro's are authentic, I'd also suggest you consider taking one of their powerboat trips as well. You can cover more ground in those, and increase your chance of sighting hippos. We were able to get out of the channels and into a larger open water area where we viewed 35-40 hippo in a group. And when they started paying attention to us and heading our way? I was quite happy to have the acceleration of the motor! As I recall, the motorboat tour cost 750 pula per hour for the boat and captain. We asked around camp, ended up with 4 couples who wanted to go, so it cost 1500 pula for a two hour tour for the group...not bad at all. He kept us out an extra half hour and we gave him a nice tip.

Enjoy! (And watch out for the baboons at Third Bridge! We found eating late/at dusk kept life simpler..they weren't as on-the-prowl come evening.).

Mentioned in this post
Moremi Game Reserve
Moremi Game Reserve
Okavango Delta, Botswana
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
North-West District, Botswana
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moremi + Okavango Itinerary Help

Thank you both!

I am budgeting the whole day for a drive from Linyanti, arrive, stay in Third Bridge + 3 full days in Third Bridge. Then drive to Maun, stay two nights to rewind/replenish supplies.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moremi + Okavango Itinerary Help

JRockJeff, I'm getting so excited for this trip after reading your message! Can't wait!!! And thanks for the tip regarding the mocoro and a boat.

P.S.: Baboons are not getting any of my cookies!

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
61 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moremi + Okavango Itinerary Help

Baboons.....vervet monkey...hornbill birds...black back jackal....all had a go at us. You have to stay vigilant. *s*

Have a great trip! It was a really magical place.

6. Re: Moremi + Okavango Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2017, 13:16