We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th of July weekend 2017

2 posts
Save Topic
4th of July weekend 2017

HI All, I currently live in Maryland and want to celebrate my 30th in the Fingerlakes... there is quite a large group of us, mostly coming from Maryland and NY. A few flying in. Since most of us are driving, what is traffic like during the 4th of July weekend? The 4th is on a Tuesday this year and we would be coming the weekend before - June 29th-July 2nd. Would it be better to come a different weekend?

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Upstate NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th of July weekend 2017

The Finger Lakes region encompasses quite a large area. It might help to answer your question if you were a little more specific. I live in the area of Seneca lake and think that traffic isn't too bad. Downtown Watkins Glen can get busy but nothing like a major city and you just have to have a little patience. There are a lot of rural roads and you should be fine I would think for most of your driving.

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th of July weekend 2017

I agree that, given the rural nature of our area, traffic shouldn't be an issue regardless of where you stay/visit. If you are interested in taking in any of the fireworks displays, that weekend will be when they are scheduled. I would highly recommend attending the annual celebration/fireworks at Americana Vineyards.

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th of July weekend 2017

Thanks so miuch for the info! We are renting a house on the west side of Cayuga Lake... how crowded are the fireworks events? Also do you know anything about the traffic as far as traveling from and the back to MD (or just south of Finger lakes) towards finger lakes during this weekend?

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4th of July weekend 2017

The fireworks in Ithaca and at Americana will both be quite crowded, but depending upon your location you may be able to view either or both from your rental. The event at Americana is a day long celebration with music, food, etc. so it's well worth the crowd. You can bring lawn chairs and make an afternoon/evening of it! Here's what went on this year: cayugawinetrail.com/events/410/americana-vin…

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,101 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4th of July weekend 2017

Where is your rental (town-wise)? Knowing that would help w/logistical and traffic questions.

FYI you posted in the forum for the village of Cayuga, a hamlet on the east side of Cayuga Lake.

You have gotten good advice and may have had your questions answered but I would post in the forum for the town where your rental is located or in the nearest bigger town.

Reply to: 4th of July weekend 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cayuga