We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from JFK to East Hampton

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from JFK to East Hampton

We are arriving at JFK and are trying to figure out what the easiest way is to get on the train or jetney out to East Hampton from JFK. Can we purchase tickets in advance?

8 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
709 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from JFK to East Hampton

Look at the LIRR scheduled to see if it fits your arrival time, if it does then just take the AirTrain to Jamaica LIRR station and hop on the Montauk line LIRR train to East Hampton. Easiest way to buy LIRR tix is via the MTA phone app. Be advised having a LIRR tix does not guarantee you a seat and if you are traveling at a busy time you may have to stand with your luggage for 3 hours. Also if you have suitcases there is very little room to store them, you may end up standing by the bathroom with your bags lirr42.mta.info/index.php?error=noRoute

The Jitney runs more often, you can either call the office or buy your ticket online however you will need to book an "airport connection" with the Jitney as well, this is an extra fee. The airport transfer is a car service that picks you up at JFK and drops you off in Queens at the Jitney stop. Your ticket on the Jitney guarantees you a seat and your luggage will be stored below. The Jitney runs two services, the regular service and the Ambassador - I am preferential to the Ambassador. https:/…

Lastly you can also hire a car service, my family does this and the cost is about $300 one way fora sedan.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12,813 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from JFK to East Hampton

The easiest thing is to hop on the LIRR at Jamaica station. Just take the Airtrain to Jamaica and take a LIRR train on the Montauk line. The only issue is that there are only 4 trains per day. It takes about 2.5 hours and cost $25 if at peak or about $18 off peak. This is a commuter line so you can;t get tickets in advance nor are there guaranteed seats. Buy the tickets in Jamaica station since they will cost more on the train. And be aware the train may be very full when you get on (possibly no seats) but you will get them as it empties out.

The Jitney runs more often but the issue is you have to buy advance tickets for a specific bus since they usually sell out. And if your plane is late you can miss the bus and then not be able to get seats on the next ones and have already paid for tickets you can't use. Also you need to grab a cab to the meeting point for the Jitney(a street corner) - more complicated than just taking the Airtrain to the LIRR station.

I would check your flight schedule against the LIRR schedule leaving at least an hour after you planes lands to get luggage and get to Jamaica.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from JFK to East Hampton

Thank you, my friend suggested the Jitney over the LIRR because she said this summer they are doing construction on it and people are calling it the summer from hell on the train... Have you heard this?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
709 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from JFK to East Hampton

It's a bit of hyperbole and it will mostly inconvenience commuters, nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/06/mta-pr… Also you are not traveling through Penn Station, the trains that go to Montauk are diesel and cannot be brought into Manhattan, they stay out in Queens.

I've been traveling between NYC and the Hamptons for 20 years (my family lives there), neither the Jitney nor the LIRR are fun during the summer season but I have it down to a science. Depending on the time of day and direction I am traveling I pick between the two evils - and I also know what stations have the least amount of passengers so I have an insider track on how to always get a seat.

Anyway the Jitney is by far easier to manage, especially with luggage, however you may get stuck in traffic (depending on the day and time) so your 2 - 3 hour drive may turn into 5 hours. The good thing though is you will be seated in AC, with free snacks and soft drinks. However with a bit of an upgrade on the Ambassador Jitney you get free unlimited wine, wifi, all the snacks you want, newspapers, and a movie. Also the seats are bigger on the Ambassador and the passengers are much quieter.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from JFK to East Hampton

Okay, you sold me on the Ambassador! We arrive on Aug 3 at 8:20 am, so I am trying to get on the 9:50 am Ambassador bus but I can't book until 21 days out is says on their site, we come back on Aug 7th, our flight leaves at 4 pm from JFK, what time do you suggest we leave East Hampton?

Thank you, you have been so helpful!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from JFK to East Hampton

Also do you recommend we do the "airport transportation" through the jitney or take a taxi?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
709 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from JFK to East Hampton

Arrange the airport transfer through the Jitney, the transfer driver will know exactly where to drop you for the Jitney and the car driver can radio the bus driver if YOU are stuck in traffic. I've been on the Jitney several times waiting for the airport transfers to arrive, it seems to work very well. Regarding your return time, best is to ask the Jitney staff , they are experts in traffic and can give you the best suggestion as to what time to board in EH. To give you a round about idea, the 7th is a Monday and you need to be at the airport 1 hour before your domestic flight ( I like to get to JFK 1.5 hours prior to my domestic flights but that's just me) so lets say you want to arrive at JFK at 3pm, it's about 1/2 hour drive from the Queens drop off spot to JFK so now we are at 2:30pm, it's about 2.5 hour drive from EH to Queens when there is nobody on the road so now we are back to noon EH departure. If it was me I would add in another hour to 1.5 hours to that JUST in case of an accident on the roads or random traffic so now it's about 10:30am. But check with the Jitney telephone operators, they will know.

Edited: 11 July 2017, 04:53
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from JFK to East Hampton

okay, thank you

Reply to: Transportation from JFK to East Hampton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about East Hampton