We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Couple of Days in Hampton Bays

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
A Couple of Days in Hampton Bays

Planning to spend a couple nights (Fri/Sat) 3rd week of Aug. on Long island with our adult daughter – staying in Hampton Bays. Any suggestions for things to do and see there? In particular, we are fans of wine and craft beer.

We will probably head toward Sag Harbor or Montauk at some point. I’m guessing traffic on 27 can get really heavy? Anything else we should know? Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12,824 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A Couple of Days in Hampton Bays

Do you have your lodging yet? In the Hamptons many places will want you to include a Sunday night for a weekend.

And yes, the traffic will be incredible - since there is one main road to get anywhere.

Sag Harbor deserves a day for itself. Montauk depends on what you do see - the lighthouse and park? the dock? are you interested in whale watching (this is a 1/2 day trip)?

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Couple of Days in Hampton Bays

If you do not have lodging yet, you can look into Riverhead, not far from Hampton Bays, about 45 minutes from Sag Harbor.

There are some good hotel options there, including a HGI that we have stayed at in the past. Not sure if Riverhead will require the 3 night minimum.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,742 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Couple of Days in Hampton Bays

Channing Daughters and Wolffer Vineyards are the 2 vineyards worth visiting in the Hamptons, (Bridgehampton/Sagaponack), but for 2 days, I'm not sure you need to do either unless it's a must for you. The ride to Montauk from Hampton Bays is imo AWFUL on a weekend. I wouldn't do it period. Sag Harbor is closer and charming. You could also take a short ferry to Shelter Island from Sag Harbor, which is a unique place with lots of Victorian architecture. 2 days is a short time, weekends in August are awful for traffic and rather than try to see a lot, my advice is chill. Enjoy the beach near where you're staying and relax. Montauk beer is widely available at any restaurant ( often on draft) or market and it's very good! Why waste hours of your visit in traffic?

Rumba's and Canal Cafe are 2 fun restaurants on the bay in Hampton Bays. Both are nice for brunch.

Reply to: A Couple of Days in Hampton Bays
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hampton Bays