We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother-daughter weekend out of nyc

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Mother-daughter weekend out of nyc

I want to take my mom for a weekend to hudson, NY for her birthday (my "weekend" is thursday and friday, so I was thinking take the train up early Thursday, come back early Saturday so I can get to work). I'm looking for a reasonable but beautiful inn or B&b to stay that has a room with 2 beds?

Also wondering if there will be enough for us to do? Walking around the historic area, shopping, eating........what else? I plan to make dinner reservation both nights at good places (i am a chef)...was definitely thinking fish and game, besides that.....?

I really wanted to go to a winery for an afternoon, but is there a good one with tastings and maybe a tour close enough to hudson city, and what are the transportation options for getting there if we don't have our own car?

Is this location a good idea for this type of trip, or is it more geared to romantic couples?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 replies to this topic
Hudson, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother-daughter weekend out of nyc

Finding a B&B with two beds is going to be hard as most of them have rooms that can accommodate 1 bed. The Barlow has the "Family Suite" that has two queen beds, but no breakfast is served. It is right in downtown Hudson within walking distance to everything. The Hudson Chatham Winery is nearby (by taxi) and does tastings of both their wine and local cheeses. There is also the "Farm to Glass" tour that takes you to a brewery, winery and distillery and includes lunch. Hope that helps!

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother-daughter weekend out of nyc

A visit to Olana (http://www.olana.org/) is a great thing to do when visiting Hudson, although you will need to take a taxi if you don't have a car. Look for concerts/music at Helsinki Hudson and the Spotty Dog Book & Ale House. Look at Swoon Kitchenbar and the Crimson Sparrow for dinner for your second night. If you are there before one of the auctions at the Stair Galleries, I find it fun to wander through the auction preview -- it's like a combined shopping/museum trip!

Reply to: Mother-daughter weekend out of nyc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hudson