We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

independance day in ithaca

Hartlepool, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
independance day in ithaca

hi all, my wife teenage daughter and i will be in ithaca for independance day.

what can we expect in the way of celebrating july 4th. we are commimg from england and this will be our first independance day in the usa.

does ithaca have a big parade and activities going on all day or is it just a laid back affair.

many thanks john.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,229 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: independance day in ithaca

The fireworks were the night before Independence Day last year and are often not on the same day as the holiday. I don't recall Ithaca having an Independence Day parade. You can check the Ithaca website as the holiday draws nearer.

Hartlepool, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: independance day in ithaca

thanks for the reply i will indeed check the web site as you suggested.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
679 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: independance day in ithaca

In Ithaca, the 4th of July fireworks aren't on the 4th of July, because traditionally people have family picnics on that day here- often at the local parks. The date doesn't get announced until closer, but usually the 2nd or 3rd are good bets.

Candor, a small village about 25 minutes south of Ithaca, does have a traditional small-town style Independence Day parade every year. If you have a car, and want to see how a small town does things, this might be fun to look into.

The local papers will all publish guides to what fireworks are on what nights. There will be fireworks shows in Watkins Glen, Ithaca, Lansing, Trumansburg (At Americana Winery- a fun wine festival day with bands, food etc), Auburn and others. Plus people who have cottages on the lakes will set off fireworks on their own from their docks, so any public park will have some great views at dark!

You'll have lots of great options!

Hartlepool, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: independance day in ithaca

thanks glen , some really good info, my family and i are really looking forward to this trip.

regards harty.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
875 posts
956 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: independance day in ithaca

We were thinking of heading to Ithaca for the Fourth of July weekend, too, but I'm kind of shocked by the hotel rates. More than New York City! Many hotels want $300 night. Is that typical of Ithaca in the summer, or is there something special going on?

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,229 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: independance day in ithaca

Doesn't look like anything special in going on - I think Ithaca is trying to cater to the monied set based on their recent downtown development and this falls in line w/that. The irony is that Ithaca tries to portray itself as the opposite.

Try Watkins Glen (21 miles away), Auburn (35 miles away) or even Owego (30 miles away) for more reasonable rates. Geneva and Waterloo are a little further and are probably more reasonable as well.

To the OP, it looks like the nearby town of Lansing is having its fireworks on July 3rd.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
875 posts
956 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: independance day in ithaca

Thanks, I was able to find a deal using my hotel loyalty points: sure beats paying the going rates for summer accommodations in Ithaca. Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen higher hotel/motel rates in the USA. San Francisco and NYC look cheap by comparison. If I didn't have those hotel points, I'd certainly stay elsewhere.

8. Re: independance day in ithaca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2016, 12:15
Get answers to your questions about Ithaca