We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visitors-better to stay in town or LaTourelle?

USA
Level Contributor
105 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
1st time visitors-better to stay in town or LaTourelle?

My husband and I (seniors) will be visiting Ithaca May 25 thru May 29 and are undecided between staying downtown at Hilton Garden Inn or at LaTourelle. We plan to visit the gardens at Cornell Univ - either Robert Treman State Park ( Lucifer Falls) or the Taughanock Falls, spend some time at the Commons, get some Purity Ice Cream. We enjoy eating at mid-priced restaurants and the only restaurant I saw near LaTourelle was extremely expensive for our budget .Is it difficult (traffic wise) to get in and out of town ? Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Robert Treman State Park
Robert Treman State Park
1,044 Reviews
Ithaca, NY
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,569 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visitors-better to stay in town or LaTourelle?

If you stay at the Hilton Garden you can walk to many restaurants and are one block from the Commons. The downside is the traffic; the area near LaTourelle is much quieter even though Route 96B is a well travelled road but really only has 1 restaurant (on the property) that can be safely walked to. La Tourelle is only 5 minutes from the Hilton Garden so either choice is fine in regards to accessing various sites. You could get to Cornell's gardens and Robert Treman without having to deal with the brunt of Rt. 13 traffic and Buttermilk Falls state park's upper entrance is also very close by if you stay at LaTourelle.

Edited: 12 May 2015, 08:08
Mentioned in this post
Buttermilk Falls State Park
Buttermilk Falls State...
748 Reviews
Ithaca, NY
USA
Level Contributor
105 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time visitors-better to stay in town or LaTourelle?

Thank you for your prompt reply to my inquiry. I believe LaTourelle will be the better location for us. We will spend one day in the city of Ithaca but other days will be seeing the sights out of the city. For our day in Ithaca, is there a particular public parking garage or lot, somewhere near the Commons, that has easy access, that you would recommend? Your input is really appreciated. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Ithaca
Ithaca
Finger Lakes, NY
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,569 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visitors-better to stay in town or LaTourelle?

There are a couple; one on Green Street across from the library and one on Tioga Street next to the post office and across from Hilton Garden Inn. Both are adjacent to the Commons.

If visiting on the weekend, off street parking is a good option as it is free.

USA
Level Contributor
105 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time visitors-better to stay in town or LaTourelle?

Thanks for the information. It is very helpful.

5. Re: 1st time visitors-better to stay in town or LaTourelle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2016, 12:15
Get answers to your questions about Ithaca