We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ithaca Trip Report (May 2015)

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Ithaca Trip Report (May 2015)

Just a quick trip report from our visit over the long Memorial Day weekend. My husband, daughter (7.5 years old) and myself had visited the Finger Lakes area last year (mainly Letchworth and Watkins Glen State Parks), but it was our first time to the Ithaca area.

Pictures and notes posted here:

www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/ithaca_2015

We arrived Friday evening and camped for three nights at Robert Treman State Park. We spent our first day exploring the waterfalls in the area; including the falls at Robert Treman, Buttermilk Falls, and Taughannock Falls State Parks. All were beautiful falls and we enjoyed the hikes and views.

We started off our second day with a stop at Ithaca Falls, followed by the Ithaca Farmer's Market at Steamboat Landing and a one hour boat ride on Cayuga Lake. In the afternoon we visited the Cayuga Nature Center and Edwards Lake Cliff Preserve. We finished the day with an evening visit to Lucifer Falls in Robert Treman.

On our last day we drove to Corning to visit Corning Museum of Glass. The museum was fantastic; there were glass demos, contemporary art pieces, exhibits about the science and history of glass, and Norah's highlight: an opportunity to make her own glass ornament.

Beautiful area and we had a great long weekend!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ithaca Trip Report (May 2015)

Beautiful pictures!! Thank you for sharing. (when ponchos attack made me laugh out loud) Looks like you had a wonderful time.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ithaca Trip Report (May 2015)

Thanks! Such a beautiful area!

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,253 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ithaca Trip Report (May 2015)

You picked the best state park to use as your base, IMO.

If you go back, check out the swimming area. You can swim out to the falls and sit under the natural ledge with the water cascading over you - truly sublime!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,244 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ithaca Trip Report (May 2015)

Thanks for the TR - and I agree the pictures are great...I've often heard about the Corning Glass Museum, but really never considered visiting, until now that I've seen the photos you posted...

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ithaca Trip Report (May 2015)

rjr0810, I'm not sure if my husband planned it that way or got lucky with the park he picked! Is that the swimming area you are referring to (at Lower Falls in Robert Treman?). We walked over to see it - very nice area. They had a lifeguard on duty, but the posted water temperature was 50 degrees! Surprisingly, nobody was in the water. ;-) I'd like to visit both in the summer and fall some time.

Eden7, I thought it was a great museum. Good mix of information about the science and history of glass, demos, and the art pieces. They have pretty extensive "make your own glass" options too. I think it's definitely worth a stop!

6. Re: Ithaca Trip Report (May 2015)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2016, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Ithaca