We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commons Construction

NJ
Level Contributor
172 posts
388 reviews
Save Topic
Commons Construction

I'm trying to pick an a place to stay for a visit to the Finger Lakes area in September, and looking at Ithaca. Can anyone tell me how the Commons area looks, and whether it seems reasonable to expect it to be a good area to visit at that point? I'd like to get a place to stay in an area where we can walk to shops/dining and near a number of wineries, and Ithaca seems to fit.

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Commons Construction

The most recent news over the past few days was that trees were being planted on the east end of the Commons, so I would think that it should be in good shape by September.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,253 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Commons Construction

Even if the Commons is not done, Ithaca is still a good place to visit. You can still access the businesses; it just may not be as visually appealing. Even when its done, it will still be urban landscaping which doesn't have the appeal (IMHO) of non-urban settings.

NJ
Level Contributor
172 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Commons Construction

Thank you, flmillcreek and rjr0810. Sounds like it should be good to go. Just didn't want to get stuck with massive construction going on. Now I'm down to trying to decide between Ithaca and Watkins Glen for a home base, and might split the time with a stay in Canandaigua to get a different look. Not sure of everyone's familiarity across all the lakes, so might ask around a few other forums. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Commons Construction

While my cohort dislikes the traffic congestion in Watkins Glen, I find it no more annoying than Ithaca. Watkins Glen has more of a small town feel and thus less options for dining and nightlife than Ithaca. If you split your time between Ithaca and Canandaigua, you will easily be able to cover the majority of the Finger Lakes.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,253 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Commons Construction

The prettiest lakes IMHO are Skaneateles, Canandaigua and Keuka (Canandaigua and Keuka are adjacent to each other) so Canandaigua is a good choice. Be sure to drive along the west side of Canandaigua along NY-21 then CR-12. The drive between Canandaigua and Penn Yan on NY-245 and NY-364 to get to Keuka Lake is lovely for its rural setting.

Ithaca has maddening traffic along NY-13 (ironic for the supposed car hating culture there) but it is more tolerable to me because it is a much bigger town than Watkins Glen and it really makes a great base if you want to hit the three gorgeous state parks in the vicinity. Plus the weekend farmers market is one of the best. The state park in WG is well worth a visit (better if you can do it during the week).

Edited: 19 June 2015, 07:21
NJ
Level Contributor
172 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Commons Construction

This is great. Sounds like a few nights in each of Canandaigua and Ithaca will give us at least a small and somewhat varied taste of the region. Days will be wineries, parks, and exploring the lakes, and we'll have the nights for some downtime in Canandaigua and a little nightlife in Ithaca. Thank you both very much. I'm in the process of checking out hotels. Based on proximity to town/lake, and our price range and dates, I'm down to Inn On The Lake, Inn On Main, or Oliver Phelps in Canandaigua, and either DeWitt Park Inn or Inn On Columbia in Ithaca. I certainly welcome any thoughts on these or others in similar areas of each town and in the price range of around 150 to 200 or so. One other question... I've been assuming Ithaca is basically a safe city to walk around at night (with consideration to the usual precautions of any city), so the plan would be to stay somewhere central and just walk to restaurants, bars, etc. Any issues I should be aware of?

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Commons Construction

You should be fine downtown.

NJ
Level Contributor
172 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Commons Construction

Great... Thanks again, for all the info.

9. Re: Commons Construction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2016, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Ithaca