We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Passing Thru

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Just Passing Thru

We are spending the night in Binghamton before we head back home to Maryland on a Tuesday in August.

I was thinking we might swing by the Ithaca area on our way home to check out some of the sights and maybe take a couple hour hike (I think we’ll have about five or six hours total) so I was looking for some suggestions.

I see there is what looks like a great farmer's market in town but it looks like the main one is on the weekend. Would the Tuesday market be a good place to grab brunch?

Thanks!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Passing Thru

Weekend farmer market tends to be bigger than weekday one in Ithaca. I would like to suggest grab a lunch at Ithaca Bakery on the way to your hike (there is one nearby Sciencenter, a few block away). The hikes around Ithaca are gorgeous. The easy one is Taughannock fall, one big waterfall at the end of the trail and not too long/a short hike. Buttermilk Falls has a gorgeous lower level waterfall, right up where you park your car. It is very close to the town, 10 minutes from Cornel University, just around the corner of Tim Hortons coffee shop. Take a gorge trail going up, you will be rewarded with beautiful waterfalls.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,093 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Passing Thru

I would check out the Tuesday market before making a meal decision as you will probably find something there to suit your taste.

I would focus on Buttermilk or perhaps Robert Treman as they are closest to Ithaca (which is already out of your way unless I am missing something). If you decide on Robert Treman and don't have the time for a couple hour hike, drive to the upper entrance, take the trail from there to see the highlights of the park in a short distance.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Passing Thru

Thanks to you both!!

I was originally thinking Robert Treman since its #1 in places to see in the Tripadvisor list for local attractions. I recognize that Ithaca/Treman is not quite on the way from Binghamton to MD. It's full hour from Binghamton so I guess I either have a six hour ride via Ithaca or a 4 and half hour ride it I ride start through to MD to get home.

Any suggestions on the Binghamton to Baltimore route for a nice diversion if we sleep in and want more of a straight shot? Not sure if there is much to see between Binghamton and maybe Scranton.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,093 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Passing Thru

There isn't much too see that is right off the highway ... there is a pleasant little state park with a small lake (Lackawanna) a little before Scranton (5 minutes off of I-81 exit 199) where you could stop for a quick leg stretch.

There is also a very good homestyle diner (Bingham's) that also sells excellent baked goods right off the Lenox exit 211 that is worth a stop.

Further down if you take the Pa. Turnpike (exit 74), Lehigh Gorge State Park is worth a stop to check out the cool boulder field.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Passing Thru

Thanks - Bingham's looks like a great place!

6. Re: Just Passing Thru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2016, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Ithaca