We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

want to visit north fork and montauk but im stuck! help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
want to visit north fork and montauk but im stuck! help!

my husband and i are planning to go away for memorial day weekend to the tip of long island, our first wedding anniversary.

we came upon the idea a little too late because a lot of the rooms are sold out and we want to visit both montauk and north fork. my dilemma is that there is more availability in north fork, so if we stay in north fork, is visiting montauk worth it for a day? it seems like theres more to do on north fork. ive never been out there so im not sure if we go to montauk on memorial day and then come back to queens where we live the same day, will it be a waste? should we go there for more? or try to get a room closer to montauk?

thank you for the help!

6 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17,430 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: want to visit north fork and montauk but im stuck! help!

Coming back to Queens ON Memorial Day will be an incredible traffic nightmare unless you wait and leave after 10 pm (have dinner on the east end and THEN travel back).

What is your budget? Staying on the South Fork is likely to be much more expensive and they may easily require you to stay 3 or even 4 nights - even if you find a place that still has room so late.

Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: want to visit north fork and montauk but im stuck! help!

250 per night

Is the south fork worth a one day trip? Or do you think I need more?

Original plan was to stay in north fork Friday Saturday night, Sunday in south fork but there’s not much availability

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,168 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: want to visit north fork and montauk but im stuck! help!

Again, you want to go out east on Memorial Day weekend....it’s highly unlikely that you will find one night rentals. Usually at least 2 or 3 night minimums.

What do you mean *worth it*? What do you want to do on the South Fork....or on the North Fork?

I think that you might have to readjust your budget too, as you will be *in season*.

Have you looked on airbnb.com or VRBO.com?

Mentioned in this post
North Fork
North Fork
Long Island, NY
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: want to visit north fork and montauk but im stuck! help!

We visited both the north and south forks, over a 3 day period but based ourselves in Riverhead.

It is a bit over an hour from Riverhead to Orient Point (North Fork) . The South Fork is more populated and on Memorial Day will be much more crowded, but if say on one day you decide to visit Montauk, and another Sag Harbor/Hamptons you will get a taste of each area.

Riverhead has many chain hotels, and we found it to be a good base for traveling out further east.

We did not do our visit on a weekend though, but mid-week early September.

Edited: 15 April 2018, 10:40
Mentioned in this post
Riverhead
Riverhead
Hamptons, NY
North Fork
North Fork
Long Island, NY
Montauk
Montauk
Hamptons, NY
Sag Harbor
Sag Harbor
Hamptons, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17,430 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: want to visit north fork and montauk but im stuck! help!

That weekend is the official start of the summer season and you can expect all of the roads to be super crowded - esp after 12 on Friday and all day monday. Don't underestimate driving times.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
368 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: want to visit north fork and montauk but im stuck! help!

Do not plan to visit the North Fork AND Montauk on one weekend. They are far enough apart that you will spend far more time in the car than I would find comfortable. If I were you, I would try to find accommodations on the eastern end of the NF, anyplace from Cutchogue east to Orient Point.

There are tons of B&Bs in the area, and hotels as well; for hotels, Greenport will likely be the easiest to find something. Greenport has the most action of any of the NF towns. From there you can take the ferry to Shelter Island, and a second ferry from Shelter Island will take you to Sag Harbor.

I'd only do this as a day trip if you leave early in the morning. We used to have a ferry from Greenport to Sag Harbor; not sure if that will run this summer or not.

If you plan to eat out, make reservations as far ahead as allowed for the popular places, on either Fork.

If you want to go to the beach, your best bet on the NF will be the State Park at Orient Point. Most of the other beaches are restricted to residents.

Mentioned in this post
North Fork
North Fork
Long Island, NY
Montauk
Montauk
Hamptons, NY
Greenport
Greenport
North Fork, NY
Shelter Island
Shelter Island
Hamptons, NY
Sag Harbor
Sag Harbor
Hamptons, NY
Reply to: want to visit north fork and montauk but im stuck! help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted