We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re-entering USA after day trip to Canadian side of falls

London, United...
Level Contributor
791 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Re-entering USA after day trip to Canadian side of falls

I've done a search on the requirements for this and think I know, but posts are a few years old so worth checking the collective knowledge.

Planning a standard day trip with the family from NYC to Niagara via BUF airport, driving up and crossing the land border to the Canadian side. We are all UK citizens who will have entered the US a week or so previously by air with ESTA / visa waiver. Do we need to do anything else apart from have our passports to re-enter the US later in the day?

My understanding is that the electronic i94w issued on initial entry to the US will be enough for re-entry after the side trip to Canada, but have never done a land border crossing to/from the US before, so want to be sure.

I know this is the US-side forum, but my additional understanding is that nothing more is required for the entry to Canada, since eTA doesn't apply to land crossings.

Many thanks for confirmation or clarifIcation.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
7 replies to this topic
Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,931 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re-entering USA after day trip to Canadian side of falls

All of your assumptions are correct. Nothing else required (other than passports) to enter/re-enter either country.

London, United...
Level Contributor
791 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re-entering USA after day trip to Canadian side of falls

Many thanks @fallsdude

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,238 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re-entering USA after day trip to Canadian side of falls

It's very unlikely that this would affect you, but the 90 day clock that started when you entered the US continues to run during your side trip to Canada. It isn't restarted and it isn't suspended.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
81,688 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re-entering USA after day trip to Canadian side of falls

Ensure that the car rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car into Canada. You may be asked by Customs when entering Canada, or when re-entering the US, for this documentation.

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
London, United...
Level Contributor
791 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re-entering USA after day trip to Canadian side of falls

Thanks @AudenHoggart and @RescueTeam.

90 day clock not an issue for us. I remember reading somewhere about the note for the rental car, but a handy reminder, thanks.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,238 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re-entering USA after day trip to Canadian side of falls

You shouldn't be charged any extra for insurance on a rental car taken into Canada. US auto insurance is valid in Canada. I've done this lots of times and never been charged. I have been asked for rental car documentation, on occasion.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Re-entering USA after day trip to Canadian side of falls

I've hired a car in Toronto four times over the past 20 years and crossed over to Michigan. USA land border control is strict, but re-entering Canada will be no problem as you're British. As you will be returning to USA on the same day then I don't see any hold up there.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Canada
Canada
North America
United States
United States