We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it an ordeal to cross over to Canada in an RV

brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
149 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Is it an ordeal to cross over to Canada in an RV

We are a retired Australian couple renting an RV out of New Jersey. We plan on arriving in Niagara early to mid morning and parking in P3. This will be a Tuesday, 12th June.

I have mapped out a full day on the US side- cave of the wind- hike around Goat Island- free shuttle to Whirlpool and hike back to Observation Tower. then return to the RV.

We would have liked to be able to just stay overnight in P3 but I don't think that is possible (despite cars being able to stay 24 hours) so we must look for a campsite.

Branches of Niagara and KOA are hugely expensive given we will arrive late and leave early the next morning. As we want to visit the Canadian side the next day I was wondering how much of an ordeal it would be to drive over in the later afternoon or early evening and camp at KOA or Campark Resort where there fees are quite reasonable. OR do I just suck up the cost and go back to P3 the next morning and walk across to the Canadian side.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
9 replies to this topic
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
80,784 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it an ordeal to cross over to Canada in an RV

As citizens of Australia, all you require to visit Canada are your valid passports.

Ensure that the rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the RV into Canada. You may be asked by Customs when entering Canada, or when re-entering the US, for this documentation.

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it an ordeal to cross over to Canada in an RV

RV travel is not an economical way to go in the USA as you are discovering. There is a great Top Question in the CA forum about it. In your country which is basically empty comparatively you can reasonably camp. US not so. Much better usually to stay at motels if budget is an issue. Its also not a great idea in major metro areas which you will be renting from. I´d reconsider the whole RV deal if you have not already forked over lots of money. Even if you have a deposit do the budgeting and you might be better off with internal flights, car rental and motels.

https:/…Rv.Rental.Is.It.Right.For.Us.html

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,547 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it an ordeal to cross over to Canada in an RV

I can't answer the border-related question relative to an RV but I disagree that RV travel is a bad idea in upstate NY (where Niagara Falls on the US side is located).

Mentioned in this post
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
Ontario, Canada
brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
149 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it an ordeal to cross over to Canada in an RV

We do not RV to save money. We do it because we like the freedom it gives us. This is our 8th RV trip. 4 in Europe, 1 on East Coast USA, 1 in Canada and 1 in OZ. We don't want to live out of a suitcase and love to self cater. We also love your National and State Parks- we actually hate staying in a hotel before and after we pick up the RV. We did the car thing around New England about 4 years ago and hated it.

I know people are well meaning when they bag RV travel but they completely overlook the benefits- to each their own.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Canada
Canada
North America
New England
New England
United States
New York
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it an ordeal to cross over to Canada in an RV

qldjulie.....we're a NY family who'll be camping on the Canadian side this July. With the required paperwork in hand, we don't expect any "drama" at the crossing. We'll even be crossing back to the US side to do some of the attractions: Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds & Old Fort Niagara to name a few.

Hope you enjoy your visit! How are the campgrounds back home? Australia is pretty high on our "to-visit" list!

Mentioned in this post
Maid of the Mist
Maid of the Mist
4,431 Reviews
Niagara Falls, NY
Cave of the Winds
Cave of the Winds
5,114 Reviews
Niagara Falls, NY
Old Fort Niagara
Old Fort Niagara
598 Reviews
Youngstown, NY
brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
149 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it an ordeal to cross over to Canada in an RV

Hi TravelingTimms. Funny you should ask about campgrounds here, as we mainly RV overseas.

The biggest problem is Australia is it is such a huge country with lots of nice places, but nothing much in between. We live on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland which has magnificent beaches if that is what you are into, and the council campgrounds are right on the beach. Most people come here to see the Great Barrier Reef (or Cairns), which is in Queensland, but about 1600Km drive away. The coastal road actually doesn't hug the coast and you have to keep taking detours to the individual beaches along the way.

Sydney is also a fabulous place to visit, but a bit like NY you don't want to be near the city in an RV. We have driven from the Sunshine Coast to Hobart in a rented RV as a 'relocation' which was a good way to do it as they paid for the ferry. The only problem is they never give you many days to do it.

My best recommendation is to do plenty of research and know what you want to see so you can avoid the 'boring' bits. And never plan to drive at night- the kangaroos love jumping in front of cars (seriously).

New York
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it an ordeal to cross over to Canada in an RV

Thanks, qldjulie. I never envisioned there were long stretches of "boring" parts. So thanks for the heads up on that. I'm sure we'll do plenty of research before taking the adventure and if camping doesn't seem the way to go, we'll come up with a new plan. We also like hostels, b&b's and boutique hotels. Hope you have a great time on your visit to NY & Canada!

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
19,134 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it an ordeal to cross over to Canada in an RV

Since you do not appear to be planning to drive in/through the city, an RV trip can be great.

Be aware that tunnels will prohibit vehicles with propane and the Parkway system of roads is for passenger cars only.

I have snowbird relatives who use https://www.reserveamerica.com/ to find campgrounds as they go. They tend to look for places that have electric, water and sewer hookups. Some even offer wifi and cable TV hookups.(Just stayed with them in a KOA in Salt Lake City that offered all those amenities.) If fewer amenities are OK, look at state and national parks.

They also belong to a KOA loyalty program that you might look at to see if it's useful for you https://koa.com/value-kard-rewards/

While we don't have kangaroos as a road hazard, do beware of the deer for similar reasons.

As to "boring bits" the northeast US is pretty thickly settled so depends on what you find interesting/boring. You have to go farther west to find the truly empty places where the next gas station is ~100 miles away.

Edited: 06 March 2018, 22:27
Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it an ordeal to cross over to Canada in an RV

Hi there,

We just left Niagara Falls. We boondocked on the street (5th and Rainbow Blvd). We also stayed at 4 mile Creek state park. Cost was approximately $32 a night and it’s about 1/2 hour from Niagara Falls.

Crossing into Canada was no issue whatsoever. Just make sure you don’t have produce because they’ll make you throw it away.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Reply to: Is it an ordeal to cross over to Canada in an RV
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted