Most tours between NYC & NFNY are by bus, and have horrible reviews.
1) Niagara Falls is approx. 420 miles / 670 km from NYC. You spend a considerable amount of your time (about 8+ hours each way) sitting on the bus, travelling. If crossing the border, add a minimum of 1 hour, to clear Customs, each way.
2) Almost always, English is a second language for the tour guide, and most people report finding the guides difficult to understand.
3) The buses are dirty and / or not well maintained.
4) There are not enough washroom breaks or they are too short.
5) The tours select specific restaurants with very limited selections and are of poor quality. (if included / provided)
6) The tours select low budget accommodations that are also of poor quality. (if included / provided)
7) You will feel rushed and will have very little free time (if any at all) to see things on your own.
8) Items that were supposed to be included are often skipped because of poor planning / poor time management.
9) People feel “ripped off “afterwards.
There are a number of inexpensive flights, from the NYC area to Buffalo NY. You would then need to make your way the approx. 25 miles / 41 km from the Buffalo Niagara Int’l Airport, to Niagara Falls...possibly a rental car if you wish to visit the Canadian side of the Falls.
(citizens of Australia only require their valid passports to visit Canada)
You could then fly from Buffalo to Washington.
Thanks for the prompt reply.... definitely helps.
Ditto on the bus tours - do not even consider this. Much easier - and way more pleasant to do yourself by air.
Definitely stay overnight on the Canadian side in a fallsview hotel with floor to ceiling windows so you have a great view of the floodlit falls at night.
And assume this is in warm enough weather (at least late April) so all of the attractions are open.
You're Welcome !
Yes, we’ll be there early August.