We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport TSA - What time do they start?.

Upstate NY, USA
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Airport TSA - What time do they start?.

What time does security open for screenings in the morning?

6 replies to this topic
Upstate NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport TSA - What time do they start?.

The airport itself is open 24 hours a day. Screening hours vary depending on flights.

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport TSA - What time do they start?.

From the website: www2.monroecounty.gov/airport-security.php

Allow extra time. TSA now recommends that you arrive at least 2 hours prior to your scheduled departure time. This will allow you to park, check-in and go through the screening process. The ROC Airport is open 24 hours a day, ticket counters open as early as 4:00 a.m. and screening checkpoints open at 4:00 a.m. Visit the TSA website to download the My TSA Moblie App for iphone which includes the ability to post and view wait times at security checkpoints across the nation.

Upstate NY, USA
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport TSA - What time do they start?.

Thanks for the responses!

Level Contributor
11 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport TSA - What time do they start?.

Generally around 4 am, but often TSA Precheck isn't open that early so even if you have Precheck on your boarding pass you will still have the general security requirements (taking liquids and laptop out of your bag etc)

Rochester, NY
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport TSA - What time do they start?.

It should be open two hours before you flight. However in Rochester the line really does move fast. Give yourself the recommended time to be safe, but I've always found it moves very fast especially in the morning. Good news is, once past security the airport is very comfortable and easy to navigate. There is free wi-fi and plenty of places to grab a meal.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport TSA - What time do they start?.

Usually in the 4:00am to 4:30am time frame. I travel from Rochester almost weekly by air and the security line length does vary considerably based on time of day and day itself. Rochester does support TSA pre check (although it's not always open...but my experience is the 'closed' times always during non-peak times) and has a line for first class or people with a variety different airline elite status levels as well.

Reply to: Airport TSA - What time do they start?.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted