We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Syracuse and Cazenovia at Christmas

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Syracuse and Cazenovia at Christmas

So, reading an old forum I am nervous about being in Cazenovia/Syracuse for Christmas. My daughter is in the Army at Ft. Drum in Watertown and we rented a cute house on VRBO in Cazenovia thinking it's close enough to Syracuse for something to do. She could only go 2hr away from base and this seemed like the closest area to go where we might find things to do. We like to snowboard and I noticed there's a mountain 10 miles away. Any ideas what else we can do while there? Army wouldn't let her go home to CA so we decided to go there. Looking forward to a White Christmas, are we crazy?!

9 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,094 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Syracuse and Cazenovia at Christmas

Cazenovia is a quaint town.

Labrador Mountain is near Cazenovia (Truxton) as is Song Mountain (Tully). I haven't skied at either in years but I imagine you can snowboard.

There is a state park with a big, pretty waterfall nearby (Chittenango Falls). It will be free to park and one of the overlooks is quite near the parking lot. If you want to snowshoe, check out nearby Highland Forest.

Lorenzo House in town has Christmas events (see link).

The nearby village of Skaneateles has "Dickens Christmas" weekends starting 11/26 through 12/18 if that is of interest.

Have a great time!!

www.cazenoviachamber.com/events-calendar/

Edited: 20 November 2016, 21:08
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,094 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Syracuse and Cazenovia at Christmas

Here is a link of holiday-related events in and around Syracuse:

http://eventful.com/syracuse/events/categories/holiday#!page_number=4&category=holiday

Edited: 20 November 2016, 21:22
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,094 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Syracuse and Cazenovia at Christmas

To answer your last question:

You are not crazy to want to spend time with your daughter at Christmas and CNY is a great place to do that.

There is a good chance of there being a white Christmas due to the prevalent lake effect snow. That said and assuming you have winter weather (snow covered roads, ice, blowing snow) driving experience, please use caution on the roads. Most of the main roads around Cazenovia are good two lane state routes but US-20 is VERY hilly; you would encounter these hills heading to the ski areas. Ask locally about the best alternate route to avoid the big hills.

If you do not have winter driving experience and are concerned about encountering winter weather during your visit, consider a place closer to your daughter or have her drive when you are with her (I assume she has winter driving experience being stationed in Watertown).

This is not meant to scare you, just to let you know. There is a decent chance that wintry weather may not be an issue during your stay. As for snow, we are used to it in CNY so the roads will be cleared fairly quickly. Once this happens, they are much safer to navigate.

Edited: 20 November 2016, 21:39
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,078 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Syracuse and Cazenovia at Christmas

The problem with answering any what shall I do question is that we don't know you & therefore it's hard to recommend anything. Unfortunately, Caz (as some of us call it) is a half hour from Syracuse & I don't know if you want to go there for anything. There's lots to do but you need to do a bit of research 1st. Both you & your daughter should get a guidebook (perhaps out of the library) for Syracuse & the Finger Lakes region.

Quite frankly, if it were me, I'd base myself in Syracuse & do a day trip to Caz but it's up to you.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Syracuse and Cazenovia at Christmas

We are having a white thanksgiving this yr. We have been having so much snow all day Sun. and today, can't get out of the house .

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,094 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Syracuse and Cazenovia at Christmas

blume -

OP indicates that they are staying in Cazenovia - "we rented a cute house on VRBO in Cazenovia" hence my suggestions.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,078 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Syracuse and Cazenovia at Christmas

The problem with a VBRO is that NY has strict laws governing vacation rentals so the OP should double check to ensure that the rental is legal.

The problem with staying in Caz is that, although it sounds quaint, I prefer staying in a larger city for all the amenities a larger city has to offer.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Syracuse and Cazenovia at Christmas

read earlier today that we are supposed to have a 68% chance of a white xmas. Had 2 feet in 24 hours last week.Nothing now so keep your fingers crossed.With snow you have plenty of options,ski , snowboard at toggenburg among others ,ccountry ski at green lakes.. without snow? limited.like basketball?always the annoyingly huge mall..

Save Reply
9. Re: Syracuse and Cazenovia at Christmas

So what did you do there? We are heading to the same area for the same reasons and would love to get a little more information of winter things to do. Leaving sunny -rainy CA for a visit in February.

Reply to: Syracuse and Cazenovia at Christmas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted