We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from NYC

new york
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Train from NYC

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Amtrak train from NYC. Specifically, is it typically delayed? I often take the train from NYC to Albany but have never been more than 10-15 minutes late (and usually arrive on time). We are thinking of taking it to Syracuse in January, however, the earliest train gets in at 12:43 and we are trying to make a medical appointment downtown at 1:30 (google maps says 15 minutes drive in good traffic). I know that it is cutting it really close but trying to decide if it is worth the risk.

Thank you!

2 replies to this topic
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,030 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from NYC

For myself, I wouldn't risk it especially if you are talking about traveling in the next couple of months. We just had 2+ feet of snow in 3 days &, even for those of us who are used to the weather, even if the train shows up on time, that will slow you down considerably.

new york
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from NYC

Yes, this is for early January. Luckily my niece was able to change her doctor's appointment so she can see Hamilton in NY with me and not have to worry about the train being late the next day. Thanks for the confirmation that it was probably too tight a window.

Reply to: Train from NYC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted