We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamarin

St Ives, Cornwall
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tamarin

Hello all

I am on the brink of booking a villa in Tamarin. Could someone just confirm that this is a nice area...

I'm lead to believe it is not over touristy and has some lovely shopping and restaurants...

Thanks in advance!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
44,991 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tamarin

Hi,

Not been here for ages as I live in the north, but it used to be my favourite place in Mauritius and we used to stay at the little hotel opposite the beach there a lot.

Small beach, quiet area, seems to be getting more residential in the past few years, but unless its changed dramatically in the past year its a lovely place. I love the backdrop of the mountains here.

Yes, some nice shops and restaurants and if you go up the road towards Casela you have a brand new shopping centre at Cascavelle.

Tamarin Bay is also where you get to see the dolphins.

A nice area to be based.

Bronia :)

Mentioned in this post
Tamarin Bay
Tamarin Bay
456 Reviews
Mauritius
Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tamarin

Tamarin Bay is lovely. You might find a hire car handy for getting out and about.

Mazza :-)

Mentioned in this post
Tamarin Bay
Tamarin Bay
456 Reviews
Mauritius
Eire
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tamarin

Hi,

Tamarin is a very beautiful part of Mauritius. Its on the west side, around 15 mins by car from Flic en Flaq. Here there is a wide range of restaurants available however during may/june it felt a bit like the only thing you could eat was chinese. It was very quiet.

Advise: renting a car is a great thing to do in Mauritius, if you take it nice and easy you can go explore so much. Tamrin is a great base to do so, because it will be like a retreat at the end of the day. There is one long stretch of beach, where at the far end sometimes you see surfers off the little reef. There is one Hotel where you can go and eat and drink, however i remember being charged extra to just sit and eat for the evening, they have a poll but I'm not sure if you can use it, but then why use it when u have this beautiful clean beach at your door step.

Tamarin is quiet, there a few restaurants local like at a shopping mall a few minutes drive south of it. This is specifically for the tourist. worth a visit, but to tell you the truth go get a car and go explore.

if i was to live in maurtitus for a while Tamarin would be it, you have just what you need to live simply and easily. A peaceful hub. Hope that helps

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Tamarin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2013, 17:24