We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit and Multi-Currency Cash Passport

Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Credit and Multi-Currency Cash Passport

I am travelling to Lux Island Resort in Le Morne exactly 1 month from today - I am soooo excited. :o)

I have a question into carrying cash and credit cards. And how much approx I will need.

I will be taking some MUR Rupee but not sure on how much. And a Cash Passport with EUR. Approx how much do you think I will need. My accomodation has a 1/2 board package so I hope to eat big at brekky so I don't have to worry about lunch. Although If I feel like a small snack when out on an excursion I can purchase food. Its not going to be shopping holiday, although I would like to pick up a few trinkets and bits and pieces. A few drinks from the bar at dinner time also as drinks are not included in my package. And I would say a couple of cocktails by the pool here and there! he he.

Probably $100 per day??(not sure). Also, are there ATM's located at Lux Le Morne so I can take cash out. I believe I can draw cash on any ATM that has the Master Card logo. What do most prefer to be paid in EURO or MUR Rupee? What's your advise and experience in this matter ? - Much appreciated. Kind regards

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6,461 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Credit and Multi-Currency Cash Passport

For the hotel you can use your credit card at the end of your stay to pay for any extras (drinks etc) that you've had during your holiday.

The best way to access cash is to change money at the airport when you arrive. There are a number of desks in arrivals (as you leave for the carpark) which all offer the same exchange rate with no fees incurred. They accept most currencies that I know of and are open for each inbound flight. No need to change money at home as this will incur bank charges. Euro's aren't generally accepted in Mauritius - rather stick to Rupees.

There are lots of ATM's around so you will be able to draw cash as and when you need it. Very difficult to say how much you will need per day, I'm afraid.

Kind regards

Dee

Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
2. Re: Credit and Multi-Currency Cash Passport

Thanks for your helpful information.

Have you stayed at Lux Resort Le Morne?

What's the average cost of a Taxi Fare around the island? Apparently they are on standby. Alot of the sites for Daily tours indicate payment in Euro! - So it makes it very hard to judge. - bit frustrating!

How much would you 'recommend' I exchange. I've got a Master Card Credit Card - with a $1000 limit which will be used for the resort.

So cash would be used for a couple of tours/lunch/souvenirs - Roughly how much do you reckon - AUS $ to MUR Rup. How much did you exchange?

Kind regards

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
219 reviews
3. Re: Credit and Multi-Currency Cash Passport

A lot of the internet sites quote in Euros but M.Rupee is the national currency and acceptable everywhere. For tipping you will need the rupee the locals cannot cope with foreign currencies. As Dee says change your money in the arrivals hall, better rate than you will get anywhere and no commission fees.

No set "average" costs for taxis, it depends how far you wish to travel and how long you are going to be driving around. I would err on safe side and budget 3000 to 4000 M.Rupees for a whole day out, hopefully it will cost you a lot less.

We also use a credit card for hotel extras and larger purchases.

Best wishes

Mazza :-)

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
219 reviews
4. Re: Credit and Multi-Currency Cash Passport

Forgot to mention that all hotels have electronic safes so no worries about security

For current and previous exchange rates see

www.shibanifinance.com

Mazza :-)

Edited: 16 March 2012, 16:08
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
5. Re: Credit and Multi-Currency Cash Passport

Your so helpful Mazza50 - thanks heaps!

I reckon if I take $800 Aus to get changed -That should be plenty plus credit card - Thanks heaps for your help!

Have you been through Soulliac, St Félix and Rochester falls - are they worth a visit. Really considering giving Port Louis a miss and just sticking to all the Natural Landscape of the South . - I'd like to do the Tea Route and Rum Distillery thou! Ive heard the coloured sands are boring! - So will give that a miss.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6,461 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: Credit and Multi-Currency Cash Passport

We haven't stayed at LUX Le Morne - have stayed at Paradis. It's a lovely part of Mauritius.

It's very hard to give you an extimate of how much cash you will need, I'm afraid. We usually start with about Rs4000 and then draw more if we need it.

There have been some warnings on TA about Rochester Falls. Apparently there are people there who jump into the falls so that you can photograph them then you get hassled for payment which is unpleasant. I haven't been there myself because of the warnings I saw about it.

We went to Chamarel Rum Distillery as part of a day trip. Had a fabulous lunch there. The tour is very short as the process is pretty basic. They have a shop and tasting area, too. I wouldn't buy from the shop as you can buy the same stuff at the supermarkets for way less money. But it's still worth a visit. Not sure what the entrance fee is as it was included in our tour price. Plenty of really beautiful landscape in the south/south west to photograph.

Enjoy your trip.

Dee

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
46,608 posts
132 reviews
7. Re: Credit and Multi-Currency Cash Passport

Yes Port Louis is really not worth the hassle lots of traffic jams and road works. - stick to the south!

Bronia:)

8. Re: Credit and Multi-Currency Cash Passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 13:17