We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic route Binghamton to Watkins Glen,and.....

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
735 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Most scenic route Binghamton to Watkins Glen,and.....

Hi,

I posted the same topic in the Binghamton forum, but had no answer sofar:

in September we will be staying in the Binghamton area. We were looking for the most scenic route from Binghamton to Watkins Glen to Ithaca and go up the 89N towards Syracuse, where we probably will spend the night (maybe 2).

Any recommendations on scenic routes/sights/must sees would be appreciated aswell.

Thank you for your help!!

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most scenic route Binghamton to Watkins Glen,and.....

I would take Route 17/86 west to Route 14 north in Horseheads. The drive from Horseheads to Watkins Glen is very pretty. Route 414 to Route 79 will take you from Watkins Glen to Ithaca along the Finger Lakes National Forest. Route 89 north from Ithaca is a scenic byway along Cayuga Lake, and you can stop and walk up to Taughannock Falls or you can view the falls from an overlook. You can then take Routes 5&20 east to Auburn and then Route 20 to Skaneateles on the way to Syracuse. Skaneateles is a beautiful town at the north end of Skaneateles Lake with many wonderful shoppes and some excellent restaurants like the Sherwood Inn.

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
735 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most scenic route Binghamton to Watkins Glen,and.....

Thank you for your advise, flmillcreek!!

Do you think this doable in 1 day? Will ~2 hours be enough to visit Watkins Glen SP?

Gr,

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most scenic route Binghamton to Watkins Glen,and.....

That would make for a long day, but it's doable. The gorge trail at the Glen is about 1.5 miles and you can take a shuttle back to your car. There are a lot of stairs, so you'll have to decide whether to start at the top or the bottom. I'd go as early as possible to miss the crowds and get the best photos. From there, it should only take about 25 minutes to get to Trumansburg and Taughannock Falls via Route 79 to Route 227 to Route 96. Taughannock is one of the highest waterfalls in the northeast, but the flow can be iffy at that time of the year depending upon recent rainfall. The walk to the base of the falls is maybe 20 minutes, and the overlook is just a quick drive up one of the side roads (a great photo spot too). From there, Auburn is about a 45 minute drive and then it's another 15 minutes to Skaneateles. There are quite a few wineries along Route 89, and a great ice cream place (Cayuga Creamery). I love doing lunch at the Sherwood Inn, and you could spend hours browsing the shoppes and galleries in Skaneateles. You may have to pick and choose activities to fit it all in.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 02:43
Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
735 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most scenic route Binghamton to Watkins Glen,and.....

I read in another topic:" I recommend starting at the lower part of the Gorge, walking up the main trail, and then taking the Indian trail back-- it's softer on your knees for the descent!"

So it might be best to start at the lower part, or do you have to walk twice the distance(no shuttle)?

Is this the right entrance of the lower part?

http://goo.gl/maps/9xoMr

We will leave Binghamton early, but want to visit the Havana Glen first. We saw some pics and lookes like worth visiting.

Maybe we will be lucky and a weekday in september will be not that crowded.

After visiting both falls we will skip walking to the foot of Taughannock Falls, and drive as you recommended. Is the best overlook point on Taughannock Park Rd or Gorge Rd as we will drive to Taughannock Point to pick up the 89N?

Auburn and Skaneateles and especially the Creamery are on our list aswell. I hope we will eat lots of icecream on our roadtrip, that means the weather is nice.;-)

Thank you again. It's appreciated very much!

Greetings from Maastricht.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 05:45
Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
735 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most scenic route Binghamton to Watkins Glen,and.....

Oeps, the link above is from the upper entrance.

Here's the lower entrance i presume:

http://goo.gl/maps/OzImS

We can park our car here for 7$, and walk up the 1.5 mile Gorge Trail to the upper entrance and take the shuttle back. Is that correct?

Thank you.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,253 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most scenic route Binghamton to Watkins Glen,and.....

I believe the shuttle will be running but you should definitely call or check the state park website first in case they reduce the number of days they run after Labor Day.

A couple of worthwhile attractions in Auburn are the Seward House and Willard Chapel.

http://sewardhouse.org

http://www.willardchapel.org

In the Syracuse area, Green Lakes State Park and Chittenango Falls State Park are highlights.

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
735 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most scenic route Binghamton to Watkins Glen,and.....

It says on their website: The trail shuttle runs 7 days a week during the summer months, and weekends only after Labor Day. It runs from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m."

We'll have to walk up and down, i guess.Thanks for mentioning, rjr0810.

Both parks you mentioned have our interest aswell!

I'll have to do some reseach on your tips, and will get back to you, for sure..;-)

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most scenic route Binghamton to Watkins Glen,and.....

"After visiting both falls we will skip walking to the foot of Taughannock Falls, and drive as you recommended. Is the best overlook point on Taughannock Park Rd or Gorge Rd as we will drive to Taughannock Point to pick up the 89N?"

The overlook is on Park Road, which you can take from Route 96 on your way down to Route 89. The creamery is only 10 - 15 minutes north of the park, on the right side of the road.

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
735 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most scenic route Binghamton to Watkins Glen,and.....

I read somewhere walking the Gorge trail up and down is more beautiful and easier then taking the Indian trail back. Would you agree on that?

Could this be the entrance to the overlook:

http://goo.gl/maps/Ux9CD

Thank you,

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most scenic route Binghamton to Watkins Glen,and.....

Certainly, the Gorge Trail is more scenic but the Indian Trail will be easier coming back because you don't have to navigate the stairs.

That location is the entrance to the park headquarters at Taughannock Falls SP. The overlook is just a bit uphill/west from there.

Get answers to your questions about Watkins Glen