We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorge Trail opening date?

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
62 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Gorge Trail opening date?

I am trying to plan a trip to Watkins Glen, and I want to be able to hike the Gorge Trail. Unfortunately, the park website only says "mid-May 2014" for the opening of the trail and I need a more specific date to book a trip! Does anyone know what date the trail will be open this year?

For those who have hiked the trail, is it considered a difficult hike?

Likely To Sell Out
2-Day Niagara Falls Tour from New...
447 reviews
from US$320.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Niagara Falls, Washington DC...
1 review
from US$673.00*
Likely To Sell Out
5-Day Tour: Philadelphia, D.C...
3-Day Tour: Finger Lakes, Niagara...
59 reviews
from US$442.00*
Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
408 posts
706 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gorge Trail opening date?

The opening date is weather dependent - snow and ice gone, water levels down below the trail, and any winter debris/damage cleaned up. Exact date probably not available until mid-May.

During the season hundreds of people, young and old, stroll the trail every day. For a hiker it is short and simple. If you start at the bottom it is up many stairs all the way to the top, and there can be some slightly damp spots. Some take the shuttle to the top and then walk down. It is really quite beautiful if you can dodge the photographers and children.

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gorge Trail opening date?

The main issue is that workers have to rappel the gorge to remove any loose stones that could prove to be a hazard before the trail can be opened for the season. I would recommend calling the park office in a few weeks to see if you can get more information. When you do plan your hike, if you go as early as possible and during the week (if you can) you'll be able to avoid any crowds.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,574 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gorge Trail opening date?

I think mid-May is optimistic; it's usually closer to Memorial Day weekend before it opens. Whether it is a hard hike is really relative; if you are in decent shape. you shouldn't have a problem. If the stair climbing, etc is still an issue, There is a shuttle that goes to the top and you can then ascend down.

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Gorge Trail opening date?

Please share if someone has an update about the tentative opening date of the trail.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
408 posts
706 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gorge Trail opening date?

Parts of the Finger Lakes region experienced severe flash flooding late last week and the gorge was impacted. The State Park indicates the trail is closed "until further notice".

The best way to monitor the status of the trail is to watch the park's website: http://nysparks.com/parks/142/details.aspx

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gorge Trail opening date?

Where is the info on the closure? On the link you posted it says:

Trails Update: The Watkins Glen Gorge Trail, South Rim and Indian Trails are open.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
408 posts
706 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gorge Trail opening date?

Trail closure info was the first thing on the page at 8:20AM today in big bold letters. Apparently the damage has been resolved and the trail opened after that. All the more reason to monitor the website for the latest info.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gorge Trail opening date?

I figured if they had closings they would be posted prominently on the front page, but didn't see anything. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something! We hope to visit this weekend.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gorge Trail opening date?

Yes, I saw the info on the site on the closure a couple of days ago and now it is gone! Hope this is good news!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gorge Trail opening date?

I've been watching this topic because I'm planning on going to the gorge next week.

I just called the park and they confirmed that the gorge is now OPEN. yay!

Get answers to your questions about Watkins Glen