We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bathing in the Dead Sea without staying at a hotel

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
314 reviews
Save Topic
Bathing in the Dead Sea without staying at a hotel

We plan to drive to the Dead Sea area and want to take a dip into it.

Is it reasonably possible to go bathing in the Dead Sea at Ein Bokek without staying at a hotel? Are there public facilities for changing and showering? Using a public bathroom would not be satisfactory.

israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
Level Contributor
734 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bathing in the Dead Sea without staying at a hotel

Both at the Ein Gedi baech and the Ein Bokek beaches there are public showers and changing rooms. The showers are out in the open (YOU HAVE TO SHOWER WHEN YOU GET OUT OF THE DEAD SEA) and for a small fee you can use the public changing rooms.

If this is not a good enough option then I suggest the Ein Gedi Spa just south of Kibbutz Ein Gedi where there is a beach and Spa facilities complete with communal showers/changing rooms.

If this too is not enough then some of the Ein Bokek hotels might let you take a room for the day at a reduced rate - the Isrotel Dead Sea hotel has let me do this in the past.

I pesonaly prefer the Ein Gedi beach as it is far more natural than teh Ein Bokek beaches which are in honest truth evaporation pans for the Dead Sea Salt Works.

Adam

washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
233 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bathing in the Dead Sea without staying at a hotel

Just got back from Israel, and we also wanted to swim in the Dead Sea without staying in a hotel. (We were doing a day trip from Jerusalem that included Masada and the Dead Sea). Our very experienced tour guide took us to the Ein Gedi Spa for a few hours. You basically put your stuff in a locker, then take a little tram to the Dead Sea, and while you're there you can do the mud baths and then come back into the facilities that have the showers and changing rooms. (there are also plenty of outdoor showers at the beach). One word of caution: my daughter and I put our things in a locker, including a camcorder and a few valuables (NOT our passports). When we returned to the locker, it was wide open, empty, and all our things were sitting on the ground next to the locker. Amazingly, nothing was stolen. We made a fuss and got a full locker refund from the manager. Not a good experience. If you go there, don't leave ANYTHING valuable in the lockers! Wonder if anyone else had similar experience.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bathing in the Dead Sea without staying at a hotel

We just came back and here's our experience.

We went to Ein Gedi.We were worried about leaving the luggage in the car, but we parked in the parking area (free) and just left it. If anyone tried to force open the trunk, they would have been seen. So I don't think it is a problem.

We paid 2 sheckels each to go into the chaging room. Then we took our little bag down (way down) to the water, and put it in full sight on the ground. There were a few people in the water and on the shore. We kept an eye on it, but it looked reasonably safe.We didn't go far or stay a long time in the water.

Then we showered outside, and paid another 2 sheckels to chage again. We were not interested in a mud bath.

In all, a benign experience.

4. Re: Bathing in the Dead Sea without staying at a hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2010, 13:18