We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Ein Gedi or Ein Bokek Area?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Ein Gedi or Ein Bokek Area?

Can someone recommend whether to stay in the Ein Gedi area or Ein Bokek area for 1 night?

My only goals are to see the amazing sights, get a mud bath in the Dead Sea, and possible a hike.

Also, which area is closer to the Ahava factory?

Mentioned in this post
Ein Gedi
Ein Gedi
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Ein Bokek
Ein Bokek
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Ein Gedi or Ein Bokek Area?

The Ein Gedi kibbutz and resort re not on the Dead sea but above it. The Ein Bokek area is basically all hotels but they are nearer to the Dead Sea.

Mentioned in this post
Ein Gedi
Ein Gedi
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Ein Bokek
Ein Bokek
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,794 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Ein Gedi or Ein Bokek Area?

Actually, the Ein Bokek hotels are further from the Dead Sea as they are adjacent to very large evaporation ponds south of the Dead Sea. The Ein Gedi resort is not quite on the shore but there is a small transport that takes you to waters edge.

I really think there are 2 reasons for someone to stay at either place. One, to spend the night prior to hiking up Masada or to stop off on the way to Eilat. All the areas you wish to see can easily be seen in a day trip from Jerusalem, including the Ahava outlet store.

I would consider not staying in either place and instead making them a day trip out of Jerusalem.

Dr. Z

Mentioned in this post
Ein Bokek
Ein Bokek
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Ein Gedi
Ein Gedi
Dead Sea Region, Israel
The Masada Hostel
The Masada Hostel
228 Reviews
Ein Bokek, Israel
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Ein Gedi or Ein Bokek Area?

If you do stay a night, unless you are going on to Eilat you should go to Ein Gedi - it's much closer to Jerusalem and you can do everything there. The hiking in the Ein Gedi nature reserve is great - very highly recommended. Take *lots* of water - it's very hot and dry down there.

Avigail

Mentioned in this post
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Ein Gedi
Ein Gedi
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Ein Gedi or Ein Bokek Area?

Dr Drill, as far as I know, that large evaporation pond is a portion of the Dead sea which was cut off by the main body of water - by, well, evaporation.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Ein Gedi or Ein Bokek Area?

Ein Gedi and Ein Bokek are not all that far from each other (maybe 20 minute drive on the highway), with Masada about half way between them, so choose the place that appeals to you more.

The hotels in Ein Bokek are spiffier than the Kibbutz Ein Gedi guest house. Two of them are on the beach (Crowne Plaza is one, I can't remember the name of the other one). Usually the hotels in Ein Bokek require a minimum 2-night stay. I would choose Ein Gedi. The rooms are comfy, if a bit spartan, but dinner is included (not nearly as elaborate as at the hotels, but decent food) and the price also includes a visit to their spa and private beach where you can coat yourself in lots of mud and then wash it off in the Dead Sea. The Crowne Plaza has a spa center in the hotel, but mud baths (I assume they are available??) would cost extra.

The Ein Gedi Nature Reserve is a good place for a hike. You are likely to see some of the native animals and it is a pretty easy climb up to the waterfalls.

There is nothing to see at the Ahava factory, just a big store. I was there last winter and the prices were the same (including the specials) as at the shop at Masada. The site is north of Ein Gedi, so best to stop either coming or going from Jerusalem.

When you visit Masada, do watch the short movie before you go up to the top.

Mentioned in this post
Ein Gedi
Ein Gedi
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Ein Bokek
Ein Bokek
Dead Sea Region, Israel
The Masada Hostel
The Masada Hostel
228 Reviews
Ein Bokek, Israel
Kibbutz Ein Gedi
Kibbutz Ein Gedi
401 Reviews
Ein Gedi, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
6. Re: Stay in Ein Gedi or Ein Bokek Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2010, 12:17