We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dead Sea Float

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
473 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Dead Sea Float

The Dead Sea is threatened by an environmental disaster and in two weeks time on 20th May there will be an exciting event at Ein Bokek to which everyone is invited.

Do you know what is happening to the Dead Sea? The continual decline of the water level is creating an ecological imbalance on both land and sea that will destroy natural habitats and cause the loss of this unique precious resource. The Dead Sea is an eco-system housing both natural and historic treasures, important to those who love to visit, and to the entire world.

SAVE OUR SEA is a small, volunteer-based awareness organization with an ambitious non-political mission dedicated to preserving, protecting and restoring the Dead Sea for future generations.

By showing the world how much we care we can make things happen.

We plan to do this in many ways.

You can help draw attention to the plight of the Dead Sea by joining us for the very first DEAD SEA FLOAT on Thursday May 20th 2010.

The float will take place at 4.30pm on the public beach in Ein Bokek, a short drive from Jerusalem and Beer Sheva. In the evening there will be several Israeli musicians performing in The Bedouin Tent.

Details can be found on our website at www.saveoursea.org.il or you can join our Facebook Group at www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373525305133

Mentioned in this post
Ein Bokek
Ein Bokek
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
87 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dead Sea Float

A terrific cause, I wish I was going to be in the country on that date to lend my support. Unfortunately I will be abroad.

What ever happened to that plan to dig a canal from the Red Sea to the Dead sea?

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dead Sea Float

This is a very good cause.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
473 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dead Sea Float

The Red Sea - Dead Sea conduit project is still in the feasibility stage.

Read more about it here

http://saveoursea.org.il/?p=58

Edited: 06 May 2010, 18:09
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,195 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dead Sea Float

I agree -- a VERY good cause, and one important to travelers given the uniqueness of that region and its role in attacting many thousands of visitors to Israel every year.

Thanks for calling it to our attention, Graham.

Douglas Duckett

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
473 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dead Sea Float

I wrote this little poem to say how I feel in the last few days before the 20th May. The Dead Sea Float.

As The Sea Lay Dying

I see you as you lay there silently

Your agony invisible on the face of your still waters

The silken surface somehow does not betray

The suffering in your depths

Children still splash and play in your shallows

Their laughter echoes on your beaches

The damaged still flock to your shores

To heal their pain by your tranquil waters

Oblivious to your final agonies

The struggle that precedes death

The dredgers continue to slice deep into your body

Working by night and by day

To extract every last ounce of commercial value

Your body once muscular and swollen with energy

Now a mere vestige of its former self

Still glistens under the glaring sun

Shrunken amidst the sink holes

That make walking with you a hazard

For those who do care

And a risk to life for those who do not care

Graham Lubin 16th May 2010

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dead Sea Float

Great poem, Graham.

And thanks for letting us know about the event.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,669 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dead Sea Float

Hi Graham!! How have you been?

Thank you for bringing this topic up as it is an important issue. Yeah, many people will scoff that this is just a windswept desert area with a really salty lake but it's importance lies in it's biodiversity.

The uniqueness of this area is just that, unique, and all the countries that have access to the Dead Sea and its waters north of it must come up with a definitive plan to mitigate this environmental concern.

Dr. Z

Nice poem too!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dead Sea Float

Whilst saving the sea is undoubtedly important, I am concerned at the environmental cost of people travelling for such an event. This is additional and unnecessary, travel, by public and private transport, for an environmental event. Seems a little pointless.

9. Re: Dead Sea Float

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 13:16