We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palestinian part of Dead Sea

York, United Kingdom
7 posts
Save Topic
Palestinian part of Dead Sea

Can anyone please tell me the best part of the Dead Sea to go to on the Palestinian coast?

In particular, my map shows a small road which goes from Hebron to Mizpe Shalem. It looks pretty mountainous. (Could be nice!) Does anyone have knowledge of this road please?

Also (as we may be in an international group), do Palestinians ever have any problem travelling along the part of the Dead Sea in Israel 'proper'?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,429 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palestinian part of Dead Sea

Best part of the Dead Sea to do what?????

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,118 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palestinian part of Dead Sea

As far as I know there is no "Palestinian part of Dead Sea ", its either Israeli or Jordanian (on the east side).

York, United Kingdom
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Palestinian part of Dead Sea

That's a good question - 'to do what'?

The last time I was in WB (in 1965) all I did was experienced its amazing buoyancy and then went home to Amman.

Advice please about anything else to do (I don't mean food, dancing or nice hotels - you can get these anywhere: I'm interested in things that are peculiar to the Dead Sea.)

Someone else said there is no Dead Sea in Palestine. I suspect that is because they deny the existence of Palestine. I was meaning the majority of the Dead Sea which lies north of the Israeli border near En Gedi.

Thanks for any advice you can provide - isn't Tripadvisor marvellous?

Israel
Level Contributor
736 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palestinian part of Dead Sea

As of today, there's no such state as Palestine. The north part of the Dead Sea was once part of Jordan (1948-67), and before that, part of Eretz Yisrael (aka Palestine) along with the rest of nowadays Israel, under the British mandate (until 1948). So there's nothing to deny as there's no such country as Palestine (there may be one in the future, though). Oh. and the only border in this area is a sea border which splits the Dead Sea between Israel and Jordan.

As for nice places to visit in this area, I like the Kumran National Park, where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered. A unique nature reserve is the Einot Tsukim reserve, which has nice springs and hosts some interesting species.

Regarding the road from Hebron, I would not recommend this road, as it is very undeveloped and not maintained well. You should use Hwy 1 from Jerusalem down to the Dead Sea.

PS: TripAdvisor IS indeed wonderful.

Edited: 15 January 2011, 01:54
israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
Level Contributor
734 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palestinian part of Dead Sea

Without getting nto the politics the Palestinians control no part of the Dead Sea and although some/many maps mark the northern part of the northern basin (aprox from Mtzpe Shalem as far as the northern tip) as Palestinian in effect the area is under complete Israeli control as is the road from Jerusalem towards Jericho and then south on 90 along the shores of the Dead Sea.

So in answer to your question may I say that if you want to refrain from visiting areas of the Dead Sea controled by Israel without crossing into Jordan this will not be possible. If the question refered to which sites in the northern part of the Dead Sea there are several including Mineral Beach, Beach 2000 and a few more besides.

Please refrain from attempting to use unofficial beaches as they can be dangerous as there are sink holes around some of them and also no life guards and funny as it may sound there are quite a few drownings in the Dead Sea and a few others that get washed out to sea and have to be rescued. Also you will need a fresh water shower when you get out and these are provided by the official beaches some of which are free.

Regarding the road marked from Hebron to Mtzpe Shalem - I highly recomend that you DO NOT use this route which is not suitable for private cars - most of it is a dirt track some of it is quite rough. Many Palestinians do use this route for various reasons which I will not get into here. If you are using a rental car be aware that should your car break down for any reason the rental agency will charge you a fortune to retrieve the car and no isnsurance you take out will cover the expense.

Enjoy your visit,

Adam

York, United Kingdom
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Palestinian part of Dead Sea

Thanks everybody for your advice! (Sorry I seem to have upset so many people by using the word 'Palestinian' - it just seemed to me clear, unambiguous and historically correct.) JOHN

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palestinian part of Dead Sea

sorry,,, aa42

but I do find your post to be a bit provocative..................

ciao

A99

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,429 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palestinian part of Dead Sea

aa42john

Nobody is upset here! If anything we can help people understand the intricacies of this region of the world with all it's twists and turns.

The best thing you can do is to come to Israel to see firsthand what has become of this area within the last 62 years. I think you wil be amazed.

Enjoy

Dr. Z

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palestinian part of Dead Sea

well said ,,,,,,,,,,, drill-n-fill

salam to all

A99

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,562 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Palestinian part of Dead Sea

I believe you posted a similar type of question on the West Bank/Gaza forum. The answer doesn't change and most here do not want to be drawn into a political discussion and won't allow that to happen.