We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

Everything started out well enough. We had reservations for two nights and the day before arrival I received a nice e-mail from Linda the owner wishing us a safe arrival. We arrived at the rental and were immediately appalled by the smell of the place…. old and musty. This is an older home with many layers of paint and what appears to be flea market furnishings.

We came with food, planning to cook during our stay. However, there were two major issues. One, there is a bug repellant device plugged into the outlet to the left of the kitchen sink; and secondly, the photo and listing states that there is a microwave and there is not one in the rental. Wanting to make it a positive and make a memorable vacation experience we remained positive that day.

That night we slept in the front bedroom and our son slept in the back bedroom. The next morning my husband woke up early and went fly fishing. When my son and I woke up, we noticed that we had bug bites to the ankle, back, stomach. I inspected the beds and could not find traces of bed bugs, but did find huge dust bunnies under the bed.

My husband returned around noon and we discussed leaving because of the horrible experience at this rental. I contacted our next destination and thank goodness they were able to accommodate our arrival a day earlier than expected.

Upon leaving, I emailed Linda and explained the situation as politely as possible, sent her pictures of the bug bites and asked that she consider providing a refund of one nights rental, which I felt was more than reasonable. Linda argued that they were mosquitos bites and that she was unhappy about the note my 12 year old left in the guest book. I should also mention that during our stay of less than 24 hours we had 3 separate visitors approach the rental, one of which Linda had brought to view the adjacent rental. Linda knocked on the door to introduce herself, which was a little shocking since she seemed a little unstable and had grass in her hair.

This property is misrepresented in it’s amenities, is furnished with flea market furniture, has an odor and also an issue with bugs in the kitchen and beds. The owner, Linda, promised to provide a refund of one night’s rental but as of today that still has not been received.

I am sure that there are decent places to stay in Woodstock, NY. Unfortunately, this is not one of them and travelers should be aware when booking.

16 replies to this topic
Boston...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

I was astounded by this review. I stayed at Lalita's guesthouse during August and loved it. It was neat, immaculate with interesting furnishings, very comfortable beds and an extremely modern bathroom with great soaps and lotions. The location was perfect; a block or so away from the main street with its shops and galleries, and on a kind of quiet country road with a nearby creek for swimming. The guestbook was very helpful, but more than that- the owner, Linda, was wonderful. Not only did she show us the apartment, but took us on a tour of Woodstock pointing out the shops and an incredible bakery that serves great breakfasts and sells the best bread ever. She also invited us to attend one of her yoga classes. We've rented apartments all over Europe and the United States and found Lalita to be a great rental. Bugs? None! Absolutely clean? Yes!Frankly the "horrible experience" letter sounded like the people has an axe to grind; maybe resentment over not getting a refund without any regard how this would affect Linda Lalita -- who by the way is not only a Yoga teacher, but also skilled in Ayavedic medicine. Not a person likely to rent an unclean place. We plan on returning to Woodstock in the spring and no question - we would love to stay at Lalit's again. If you're going to Woodstock, don't miss out on this delightful, charming, immaculate perfect location vacation rental. Sarah from Boston

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,232 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

Since you left early, and the property has a strict cancellation policy, it seems like they have already offered concessions by not charging you for the canceled nights.

"Flea market furniture" is a perfectly legitimate style for furnishing an eclectic guest cottage or B&B room in Woodstock. In fact, the property description indicates that it has vintage furnishings. I'm not understanding why that would be offensive.

What did your 12-year-old write in the guest book? Did you supervise him and was it appropriate?

Watertown...
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

That was one angry guest! We have stayed at Lalita twice and we're delighted with Linda's place. Clean, nicely furnished, a brook just down the street and a great little town in walking distance to explore. Wae have friends in Woodstock who recommended it highly and I understand that Linda is a highly respected member of the community. I guess when you have a guest house you take a chance when you rent to unknown people, but this person sounds like a nightmare. And all for a lousy refund that he or she didn't get. Guess it takes all kinds. All guest owners, wherever you are BEWARE! From Gloria

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

Had to laugh out loud when reading this complaint. Have not had the pleasure of seeing this place but certainly would not let the lack of a microwave oven stop me from renting.

1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

We spent a week there recently and it was lovely, comfortable, quaint, private and yes...a microwave and much more. Linda was only concerned that we had everything we needed to be comfortable and we were. Very! Must add the beds were great. Slept very well. Keep in mind you are in the heart of a mountain range and little creatures live there too...but only outside in our experience. Woodstock proper is within a short walking distance and was fun to browse. Yoga is closeby too, restaurants, trails, it's sweet. We will revisit Lalitas again. PS...she is a nice person, accessible, helpful. You be nice too.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

I know Lalita's guest house and it seems like you just had a bad day. I can't imagine bed bugs at her place. As far as unstable, she is a yoga teacher and probably just did one of her outdoor yoga classes. There is no one more stable than Linda, very deeply so.

Sorry about your stay - but don't judge the house by one experience!

Best!

Reply to: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Woodstock