We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter weekend getaway in Woodstock

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Winter weekend getaway in Woodstock

Hi I'm taking my girlfriend to woodstock for a weekend getaway for her birthday in January. Any advice on things to do and/or attractions/sites to see (ie recommended resturaunts, activities, sight seeing, nearby places to ski, nearby open wineries,...)

Thanks for any advice!

4 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter weekend getaway in Woodstock

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,234 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter weekend getaway in Woodstock

Haven't been there in years but there are some art galleries, shops and restaurants. No ski areas very close. I believe that Belleayre in Highmount is the closest, about 30 miles. Why did you pick Woodstock in the first place?

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter weekend getaway in Woodstock

I was just trying to find somewhere within 3-4 hours of baltimore for a weekend getaway (was thinking cottage with fireplace/hot tub, nearby resturaunts, skiing, and/or other activities)...catskills is what I came up with...if you have any better/other suggestions I'm all ears

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter weekend getaway in Woodstock

There are 4 ski areas fairly nearby, one of which is a really tiny place with 600' of elevation. Belleayre is a modest state run area. It's got 1100', IIRC , but it's divided into an upper and lower mountain, with the upper section having the blue and black trails. Think of it as a pair of 600' hills. It's an excellent place for beginners. Hunter and Windham are both bigger, with more trails and about 1500'. IMHO Hunter tends to be too crowded, and not good choice for new and intermediate skiers, but it has some good expert trails. Windham was always my favorite. Lots of good trails, decent for beginners (including a 2" miles trail from the summit), with great intermediate and expert trails.

For wineries, check google maps. There's one a few miles south of Kingston, but I don't think there's anything else that's not at least 10 to 15 miles further away, and no idea what will be open. Tourists certainly love Woodstock and flock there, but I'm not sure there's more than about and afternoon's worth of browsing through the shops. There's definitely some good hiking nearby, including the classic (and fairly easy) hike to the top of Overlook Mountain, just outside if town.

Loads of restaurant choices in and near town. New World Home Cooking as always been one of our favorites.

Of course you might also look for something in the Poconos, or out towards the Shenandoah valley.

Reply to: Winter weekend getaway in Woodstock
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Woodstock