We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woodstock, NY vs. Big Indian, NY for Weeklong home base?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Woodstock, NY vs. Big Indian, NY for Weeklong home base?

A group of 9 of us are planning on spending a week in a house in the Hudson Valley in October. We're looking at two houses: one in Woodstock (1.5 miles outside of town) and one in Big Indian (~30-40 minutes drive time west of Woodstock).

I don't know much about the area, but Woodstock, from what I can gather, seems to be more in the heart of many interesting things to see and do up and down the HR valley. Big Indian seems to be related to the ski areas nearby. So, that's my first question.

Is Woodstock more in the heart of things worth seeing/doing in the HRV area?

Houses are very similar, but one has several more bathrooms (a big issue for the women, 4 of the 9, though not so much for the men, not terribly surprisingly). And based on that and *possibly* slightly bigger bedrooms are bigger, it's being argued that the extra drive time is no big deal, and there's likely plenty to do in/around Big Indian as well.

So, just trying to get a sense of the which home/area area would be better as a base if we're interested in checking out cool small towns, wineries, antiquing, hiking, good restaurants, etc.

Both houses have great reviews on their respective sites.

Thanks for any input!

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Hudson Valley
Hudson Valley
39 Reviews
New York
8 replies to this topic
usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woodstock, NY vs. Big Indian, NY for Weeklong home base?

There's not much in Big Indian, other than a great restaurant called Peekamoose. I would think Woodstock would suit your needs much better.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woodstock, NY vs. Big Indian, NY for Weeklong home base?

Definitely Woodstock. Nothing much in Big Indian. Woodstock has shops, restaurants, etc.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woodstock, NY vs. Big Indian, NY for Weeklong home base?

Thanks much for weighing in - sort of what I'd suspected! Obviously, we'd be ranging well beyond Woodstock during the week, but Woodstock's location just seems more central to the good stuff.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,547 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woodstock, NY vs. Big Indian, NY for Weeklong home base?

Of course I am the contrarian but I prefer the serenity and more genuine mountain feel of Big Indian. Woodstock is a bit too upscale, expensive and crowded for but does have more within town. I don't think it's all that more centrally located - that depends on where you intend to check out.

Kaaterskill Falls (not far from Hunter Mtn. in Haines Falls) should be on your list as it is the highest falls in NYS.

Mentioned in this post
Kaaterskill Falls
Kaaterskill Falls
229 Reviews
Haines Falls, NY
Hunter
Hunter
Catskill Region, NY
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woodstock, NY vs. Big Indian, NY for Weeklong home base?

Thanks much, RJR, for the input. Not surprisingly, I was pushing for the Woodstock house, but looks like I got outvoted! But, this note makes me feel a little better about the group's decision. Thanks again! PB

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woodstock, NY vs. Big Indian, NY for Weeklong home base?

It depends upon what you want in any area to stay. If you want places to eat and shop you go to Woodstock. If you want isolation you go to Big Indian.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Woodstock, NY vs. Big Indian, NY for Weeklong home base?

Thanks! Given that we often do a lot of cooking in, BI might work fine. And the bustling areas like Woodstock aren't exactly worlds away... PB

Edited: 18 June 2015, 20:39
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,547 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Woodstock, NY vs. Big Indian, NY for Weeklong home base?

"And the bustling areas like Woodstock aren't exactly worlds away"

Exactly!!

Reply to: Woodstock, NY vs. Big Indian, NY for Weeklong home base?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Woodstock