We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh shrimp

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh shrimp

My family used to go to Topsail when I was a kid (about 35 years ago). Back then, you could buy fresh shrimp directly from the shrimp boats when they came in at the end of the day. Do the shrimpers still do that? If not, where is a good place to get fresh shrimp/seafood.

I'll be returning this August...with my kids now.

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Topsail Island
Topsail Island
North Carolina Coast, NC
Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh shrimp

I like to go to the fish houses in Sneads Ferry to get fresh shrimp. Sometimes there will be a boats unloading their catch when you're there, which is pretty cool.

I'm particular to Everetts Seafood but all of them are very good. Here are their phone numbers and addresses. Note: the area code is 910 and the rest of the address for each is Sneads Ferry, NC 28460.

Bowmans Seafood: 327-8931 - 137 Everett Ln. (On the Landing)

Davis Seafood: 327-4081 - 155 Davis Lane (Near the high rise bridge)

Everetts Seafood: 327-2216 - 121 Hall Point Rd (Behind Riverview Cafe')

Grants Oyster House: 327-3351 - 1142 Old Folkstone Rd. (Next to Grants Creek Bridge)

Larry's Crab Shack: 389-6492 / 389-2750 - Hard & Soft - 1st left on Fulchers Landing off of Wheeler Creek Rd. (On the Landing)

Millis Seafood: 327-4571 - 816 Mullet Ln. (On the Landing)

Sneads Ferry Seafood: 327-7741 - 235 Wheeler Creek (Next to Wheeler Creek Bridge on the Landing)

Mentioned in this post
Davis
Davis
West Virginia
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh shrimp

That was very helpful, thank you

3. Re: Fresh shrimp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 July 2011, 19:05
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh shrimp

Axle, thank you. I definitely will use that as a reference.

Conniecat, do you know of any seafood shops on Topsail beach? If I read it right, the places you recommended are in Snead's Ferry. Thanks.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh shrimp

There is one in Topsail Beach -

South End Seafood

717 S. Anderson Blvd

Topsail Beach, NC 28445

(910) 328-2010

I didn't have it in my first list because I have never been there before. If you go there, please review it and let us know how it is.

Mentioned in this post
Topsail Beach
Topsail Beach
Topsail Island, NC
Anderson
Anderson
South Carolina
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh shrimp

We'll check it out and let you know.

When I was a kid, there was a bait shop/convenience store on the intercoastal in Topsail Beach that used to sell seafood. I think I recall hearing later on that their pier collapsed and people were injured. I wonder if they are still in business.

As an aside, my older brother got ticketed for driving donuts in their gravel parking lot. Good times, good times.

Mentioned in this post
Topsail Beach
Topsail Beach
Topsail Island, NC
Topsail Island...
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh shrimp

Pete, you are thinking about Topsail Sound Pier and Market...

There were always a few flounder fishermen to watch as we waited for the shrimp boat, Lady J, to come in with some fresh shrimp.... and Dolphus Thompson..... Oh how I miss Dolphus..... and Wes & Cindy and ww.Doug.know-it-all.com and Dave Gardner and Tommy and Jeff and all the other regulars at Topsail Sound Pier ..... and the sunsets.....

More memories of Topsail Sound Pier come to mind..... hanging out at the picnic table with a cold beer waiting to see what Vonda Kay, the head boat, brought in from offshore..... Kip Oppegart behind the counter with his book and his cats..... Flo Jo charter boat Capt. Dave Hawkins, one of the pier’s characters..... wonderful evenings at Latitude 34 with Dave and Ann Johnston.... and dinner at Beauchaine’s with Carey and Darrell....

I'm sorry to say, that Sound Pier is long gone, but the memories remain.

Edited: 02 July 2011, 17:50
Mentioned in this post
Topsail Island
Topsail Island
North Carolina Coast, NC
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fresh shrimp

Yes, that's it...the Sound Pier. Great memories of hanging out there.

My first ever job was at the Putt-Putt course. The owner would give me a couple of bucks a day to sweep sand off the greens. I would take my hard earned money across the street and blow it at the Tastee Freeze...or sometimes at the roller rink. When I felt really fancy, I would go to Warren's soda shop.

The trip back this August should be interesting.

9. Re: Fresh shrimp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Topsail Beach