We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning vacation for '14 main goal to see Sea Turtles hatch

Sumter, South...
3 posts
Save Topic
Planning vacation for '14 main goal to see Sea Turtles hatch

I would appreciate any1 that would assist me ...It's been many yrs since my daughter & I have experienced a vacation I really wanted to make this meaningful for her & myself. She will be graduating high school in 2015 & before she graduates & leaves our nest/home> I wanted to take her to a beach & experience/watch sea turtles hatch & make their journey to the sea. What would the best location be on Topsail Island to stay on the beach w/in lower cost to be w/in short distance of the nesting? Any recommendations? prefer hotel/condo on the beach & any restaurant recommendations

~Thank u for any help greatly appreciated -Leigh

Mentioned in this post
Topsail Island
Topsail Island
923 Reviews
Topsail Island, NC
Sumter, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning vacation for '14 main goal to see Sea Turtles hatch

Also concerned my daughter will get bore & Surf City might be a better choice, but our main goal to achieve is to see sea turtles hatch.......suggestions please

Mentioned in this post
Surf City
Surf City
Topsail Island, NC
North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning vacation for '14 main goal to see Sea Turtles hatch

Turtle nesting is all over the island. See http://www.seaturtlehospital.org/index.htm for more information

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,359 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning vacation for '14 main goal to see Sea Turtles hatch

You might want to rethink that goal. It's wonderful if you do happen to catch it, but it's not like something you can plan a vacation around. Have you ever seen a baby bird hatch or fledge and fly away from the nest? It's much the same. If you know where the bird nest is you can keep an eye on it and try to be around when the baby birds come out, but short of camping out by the nest and not moving you can't guarantee you're going to be in the right place at the right time. Catching sea turtles hatch is almost the same. Sea turtles almost always hatch at night, also. Trained volunteers monitor the marked nests and walk the beach at night, but they don't catch every hatch. www.seaturtle.org/groups/ncwrc/overview.html

If you're really interested in sea turtles you might like to visit the Karen Beasley sea turtle hospital at Topsail where you are guaranteed to see some. http://www.seaturtlehospital.org

Mentioned in this post
Topsail Island
Topsail Island
North Carolina Coast, NC
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning vacation for '14 main goal to see Sea Turtles hatch

I have to agree. I volunteered with a turtle rescue for years. We were notified of hatches and I observed several. It was really wonderful, but not predictable for people who aren't monitoring nests and don't know what pre-hatch looks like.

Contact the hospital and take a tour. Sometimes injured turtles are released after they recover, and that's fun to watch too.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning vacation for '14 main goal to see Sea Turtles hatch

There was just a sea turtle nest moved the other day on North Topsail! Now the waiting begins! It takes up to 45 days-maybe longer maybe shorter for the hatchlings to appear. Usually you can see the nests in the dunes as they do tape them off. During the hatching period the volunteers usually will sit with the nest at night waiting and waiting...

So after all this, to plan your vacation for a hatching would in my opinion be very difficult. As mentioned above your best bet would be to contact the Turtle Hospital, maybe they can give you some information about some volunteering short term?

Mentioned in this post
North Topsail Beach
North Topsail Beach
Topsail Island, NC
Sumter, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning vacation for '14 main goal to see Sea Turtles hatch

Thank u all so helpful & insightful I will look into all these options ~ Leigh

7. Re: Planning vacation for '14 main goal to see Sea Turtles hatch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Topsail Beach