We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers-review for anyone thinking of coming here

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
302 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
First timers-review for anyone thinking of coming here

I just wanted to say although I have found people a bit abrupt we would not be put off from coming back here.

We are staying at the Renaissance hotel between sunny beach and Nessebar but easy to get to either on the bus, tourist train or taxi.

The first night we arrived in was nearly midnight but I felt safe walking around,no problems.

I haven't seen any violence or anything that worries me. We are a couple 37 and 40 and haven't seen any trouble. I am from Newcastle and see more like that in my city centre!

I think everyone should come and try it for themselves as we all like different things, for years I was put off Bulgaria as people were saying it is Blackpool in the sun, I don't think it is but if you want Brit bars etc you can get them but we have been to some nice chilled restaurants, its not like the media portrays at all.

If you want rowdy you can have it but if not you are well catered for as well.

Give it a go-after all prices are a bargain here too!

Bex

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
997 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers-review for anyone thinking of coming here

Hi

Well said, everyone should make there own mind's up which you have done, you could have been put off reading negative reviews before you went and picked somewhere else to holiday,and missed out,

Glad you enjoyed your holiday,

Phil brum

Stockton-on-Tees...
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
2,913 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers-review for anyone thinking of coming here

Glad to see you have enjoyed it even though you were questioning people being miserable. Honestly it really is a different way of life for them. The Bulgarian friends we have made have such a different life to us, yet are happy despite not being well off (money isn't everything but some people think it is). This year I spoke to a Bulgarian in a bar and he said he loves English people and loves to hear about our way of life, and doesn't like other Bulgarians! The guy on the water sports on the beach who was quite young was chatting with me and said it's good that the uk has lots of rules not like Bulgaria. If you can get past the frosy exterior they really are lovely people. They are just on their guard all the time and yeah they are out to make money the same as everyone else in the world. Top tip is if you find a friendly Bulgarian engage them in conversation. You will find out some surprising things. Also, it being compared to Blackpool and Marmaris is nothing like it at all lol

Edited: 04 September 2017, 01:20
Newcastle and...
Level Contributor
176 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers-review for anyone thinking of coming here

Hi Bex

Thanks for your reassuring words

We fly out on Monday 11 for the first time from Newcastle for a week

SB seems to be a bit like marmite , people love or hate it .

I'm looking forward to it , we had to cancel last years visit dueTo a family iillness .

Tony

Redcar, United...
Level Contributor
488 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers-review for anyone thinking of coming here

Pleased you have enjoyed your holiday. There is something to suit all ages, we are an older couple but have enjoyed Sunny Beach for the last 12 years. Like anywhere a holiday is what you make it, we find if you are polite and happy to talk to Bulgarians they are more than happy to do the same. It is now like coming home the greetings we get from Bulgarians we met the first time we went and every year since.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
284 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers-review for anyone thinking of coming here

Hello. We are flying from newcastle next year to stay in renaissance hotel! :)

Do you have any tips about restaurants/beach bars ext for families that are local to the hotel and don't need a taxi etc to get too?

Did you walk to nessebar and how long did it take?

I have read lots of tips and info about sunny beach generally but anything you could say about the immediate area to renaissance would be handy. Thanks

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
302 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers-review for anyone thinking of coming here

Hi,

If you come out of the back of the hotel (not the pool end) turn right, right past Palazzo hotel, then right again you have a small supermarket and the doctors/chemist.

Keep walking along for a bigger Aldo supermarket.

There is a restaurant that we went to on our first night just down the road with an inside and outside area called Memories which we enjoyed and a very good price for the meal. There is also the Vicki restaurant, we haven't been in this one yet but people on the forums said the staff was friendly and they enjoyed their meals. There is also Mussoni if you follow my directions to come out of the hotel you will see the Rose village apartments (red sign on the outside) if you cross over the road right to the other side this is where the restaurant is near to costa coffe shop and there is also a Serbian grill,restaurant. Across the Rose from arose Village this is where the mini train stops which the kids will enjoy and you can either go to sunny beach or Nessebar. Taxis are on the corner oppose the Rose Village if you want to go further afield. We didn't pay more than 15 lev for a taxi.

Hotel has a kids pool and a water slide which seem to be in good use!

In new Nessebar there is a bowling alley but I'm afraid I'm not sure of directions but you can do a search in the forum. We did walk to Nessebar as the busses were full, took about 20-25 mins at a strolling pace.

The beach is about a ten minute walk across a boardwalk, again come outside of Rose Village, across the road right to the other side and you will see the boardwalk. There are a few beach bars on the front which are nice and ice cream stalls etc for the kids.

In terms of the hotel there were only 5 hangers in the wardrobe so I would bring your own plastic ones as they don't weigh much, you will also need a tea towel and a bottle opener. There is a shower gel/shampoo all in one dispenser near the shower if you want to cut down on bringing toiletries, there is also a soap dispenser near the sink and a small hairdryer attached to the wall.

Lots of little shops near by for beach goodies for the kids.

Sorry we travel as a couple but have tried to give you as much info as poss!

Have a good holl, Bex

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
284 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers-review for anyone thinking of coming here

Aww that's great thanks Bex. Really handy to know about the toiletries. Releived to see there are places around the hotel cos I was getting the impression we would have to go to sunny beach centre or nessebar.

I walk everywhere at home and a 2t minute stroll is nothing :)

Thanks for all the tips.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
302 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers-review for anyone thinking of coming here

You are welcome! We are just at Kiko beach bar at the minute which is the first one you come to from the wooden boardwalk-nice cheap kebab wrap for lunch £3 each and a large beer about the same!

9. Re: First timers-review for anyone thinking of coming here

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2018, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Sunny Beach