We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Vancouver to Nanoose Bay; Recommendations??

Cumberland Center...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Vancouver to Nanoose Bay; Recommendations??

I hope you can help me decide the best way to get to the Nanoose Bay area. This summer, we'll be flying into/out of Vancouver for 2 days at beginning and end of a vacation, and in between we'll be spending a week near Nanoose Bay. I need to rent a car for our time on Vancouver Island. I think it might make sense to rent the car in Vancouver, and take the car on the ferry back/forth to/from Nanaimo-Duke Point and Vancouver - even though we'd have to pay for the car also. Do you have any recommendations or ideas to help us plan? Thank you for your input!.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
6 replies to this topic
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,577 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Vancouver to Nanoose Bay; Recommendations??

Upon leaving the ferry turn Right and drive North along the coast until you reach Nanoose Bay-naturally directions are reversed upon return.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,402 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Vancouver to Nanoose Bay; Recommendations??

renting the car will be one of the best line in your budget. At $115 for a return trip; it is a cheap item to have a hassle free time getting around.

Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Vancouver to Nanoose Bay; Recommendations??

Hi, well it is possible to come over without the car and rent one in Nanaimo but to do that it's best to come Horseshoe Bay (West Vancouver) to Departure Bay (Nanaimo). Budget will pick you up at the terminal. The issue is you and your luggage have to get to the HB ferry terminal.

I haven't checked for a while but it may be cheaper to rent in downtown Vancouver vs on the island so you might break even having to take the car on the ferry. Also note,the Departure Bay terminal is 20 minutes closer to Nanoose than Duke Point and the Duke Point trip is 30 minutes longer than the Departure Bay trip from the mainland. Hope this isn't too confusing!

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Hope
Hope
British Columbia, Canada
Cumberland Center...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Vancouver to Nanoose Bay; Recommendations??

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I appreciate your ideas.

Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Vancouver to Nanoose Bay; Recommendations??

You're welcome. Did your area get hit by the recent big storm?

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
89 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Vancouver to Nanoose Bay; Recommendations??

we live in Nanoose Bay you could fly into Nanaimo airport that has car rentals but the flight is usually very high. You can take the float plane...lots of fun to down town Nanaimo much cheaper and they will arrange a car for you. But the ferry is a nice trip if you haven't been on it, nice views. Its not hard to find Naoose Bay just head north. Lots of road signs

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reply to: Travel from Vancouver to Nanoose Bay; Recommendations??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nanoose Bay